Optimus igpu disable benefits?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by hertzian56, Feb 7, 2021.

1. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What was already a good deal gets even better. :)

I’m very surprised this budget model comes with a mux switch. Makes me wonder what everyone else overcharging for their laptops is smoking...

2. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I almost think the tongfangs just don't get into all that extra disabling/managing etc since so many of the smaller performance oriented manufacturers use their chassis and want as much options as possible for their knowledgeable customers to tweak. No reason for them, just cost more to have someone do it etc

3. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thats great!

Like i said in my earlier post there is no excuse for gaming laptops to not have a MUX switch these days.

4. hertzian56

Reputations:
    Yeah I see a constant 15% utilization during gaming from the igpu, that's gotta have some effect on cpu and temps etc I would think. Once I get to a place for a restart will do this for sure.

5. hertzian56

Reputations:
    Just thought I'd do a quick update, dgpu only works fine. A quick passmark gpu test (not the best I know and I'll do a 3dmark fsg/ts later) gives a 22% graphics score improvement with the same fan/power mode setting and this has xtu undervolt in the bios I did -50mv while I was there. Totally happy with that.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    Clamibot likes this.
  6. hertzian56

Reputations:
    Update2 well 3dmark is a different story, I actually got a little worse score on FSG and about the same on timespy graphics. As I said I was looking mainly to help the cpu with less overhead for better fps so I'll do games benchmarks testing for games I have a record of hzd, gears 5 and eyeballed acod. Like I said I noticed on some games up to 15/17% igpu usage, this must have some benefit hopefully otherwise just go back to mshybrid.

7. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i cant imagine it making a difference....what are you getting in firestrike

8. hertzian56

Reputations:
    I'm covering this in the thread for my machine as it's specific to it. In short in FSG it's no benefit. In cpu games it's 10-20% or so about +6fps-10fps. GPU games it's a bit of a benefit. On Fallout 4 I go from a 60fps locked to 120fps with an average of 100fps. Top temps have actually fallen , mostly gpu. I don't really play the sort of games that would be the largest benefit like csgo etcThe ncp settings have a benefit of adjusting the screen color settings which I did. I want maximum tgp most of the time and this is the best way to get it. I can just switch back if in the rare case I'd ever use this on battery alone. I'm seeing some benefit so I'm leaving it on dgpu only.

JRE84 and Clamibot like this.