Optimus igpu disable benefits?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by hertzian56, Feb 7, 2021.

1. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I was just kind of curious about what you guys think about disabling igpu and how it can benefit the gaming performance, minus battery cost but I don't care I'm always plugged in when gaming and pretty much all the time on 15.6"+ laptop usage.

I get that heavy cpu/ fast paced online/esports etc games it will have a benefit from the other threads here. What about just offline open world games or just offline single player games in general? Will disabling it result in noticeable fps gain, say over 10fps? Will it lower heat overhead/fan noise afa cpu when playing those games? I can't imagine running the screen full time would have much effect on the dgpu.

JRE84 likes this.
  2. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If the dGPU is controlling output there is little benefit to disable the iGPU. If you can disable it in bios you'll save around .2W in power draw. If you disable it in windows you actually make it burn more power by not enabling a driver to set it in a low power state.

As for bypassing optimus, this has very little benefit in most scenarios. At 60fps gaming optimus performance is within 0-2% of direct dGPU performance. The fps numbers difference can get substantial at 400fps or so, but at this point the fps doesn't matter since you are far beyond the screen refresh rate. 120Hz or 144Hz displays maybe up to 5% improvement with direct GPU output.

There were some optimus vs direct output comparisons done in the 680m days if you want to try looking for that old data. I don't know how relevant that data is though. AMD Enduro performance improved greatly since then, while Nvidia for a while seemed to get worse afterwards.

Few BIOS allow for switching between Optimus and direct output. Mostly only Dell systems had this feature with a modified bios flashed.

JRE84 likes this.
  3. hertzian56

Reputations:
    The bios in my laptop has an option to disable igpu specifically so I could try it but wanted to get some info as to the benefits. Really old data I'm not sure would be relevant.

JRE84 likes this.
  4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Lots of laptops allow for disabling Optimus: Lenovo Legion, HP Omen Intel models, most Clevo and Tongfang, some MSI and Asus as well.

There is a performance benefit to disabling it. Jarrod’s Tech on YouTube did a fairly in depth comparison. Don’t have the link but it’s easy enough to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmanti likes this.
  5. jelenn

jelenn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have Aorus 15p with RTX3070 and disable optimus is allowed here via Control Center. Some avg. fps with max quality:

Optimus:
    - Horizon Zero Dawn: 89fps
    - Division 2: 103 fps
    - Shadow of the Tomb Raider: 115

RTX:
    - Horizon Zero Dawn: 99 fps
    - Division 2: 109 fps
    - Shadow of the Tomb Raider: 124

So depending on game the difference is between 5 and 11%

dmanti, hertzian56 and saturnotaku like this.
  6. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    Optimus can be a 10% performance loss, not including the 200+ fps bottleneck. There is no reason to game with it enabled if you have to option to disable.

7. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Optimus also has an additional frame of input lag.

Reciever likes this.
  8. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The difference between an optimus and dGPU only setup varies, but dGPU only will always yield the best performance.

The performance increases with dGPU only mode generally become more significant the more CPU bound the game is. For example, it is impossible for me to obtain 120 fps in Watch Dogs 2 on my Cyberpower Tracer III laptop no matter what setings I use (optimus only, can't switch to dGPU only), but I can get 120 fps on my Alienware Ranger if I drop the settings to low.

JRE84 likes this.
  9. hertzian56

Reputations:
    Looks like it will be a worthwhile thing to do, I'll definitely try it. Would have been nice if this had a software switch though, not a big deal but easier for judging the difference on my particular system.

JRE84 likes this.
  10. Gumwars

Gumwars Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not meaning to spoil the fun but unless your laptop has a MUX switch (either physical or in BIOS), if you have Optimus, your dGPU likely passes through the iGPU (MUXless) meaning, unless you use the HDMI or DisplayPort to a monitor, disabling the iGPU will also kill the dGPU feed to the laptop's display.

You can verify how your laptop is set up by opening the Nvidia Control Panel, go to the PhysX section, and see if the laptop display is associated with the iGPU or the dGPU.

KING19 likes this.