Optimal amount of ram for gaming?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by johnny89, Mar 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny89

johnny89 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What would yall say is the least amount you should have for gaming? The best?

2. S.SubZero

S.SubZero Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The least amount of RAM for gaming is the least amount of RAM your operating system will boot with. This assumes your "gaming" is Freecell and Minesweeper.

The "best" amount of RAM for gaming is 128GB. This is the maximum amount of RAM a modern 64-bit OS can currently access.

(you really need to be more specific)

3. MonkeyMhz

MonkeyMhz Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    4GB, considering thats a good amount without going overboard from 4GB to 128GB ram I don't think you would see much a increase in most games, since they don't really seem to take up any more than 2-3gb at a time.

4. gengerald

gengerald Technofile Extraordinaire

Reputations:
    In my experience, 2GB (min) for XP and 3GB (min) for Vista to have the best performance. Also, disabling your page file may be of use depending upon hard drive speed. It is very risky, but I have found it to have some benefit.

5. AznImports602

AznImports602 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Doesn't boost ready help in gaming as well?

6. gengerald

gengerald Technofile Extraordinaire

Reputations:
    It will, but its effect is dependent upon your hard drive speed/amount of RAM. If you have a 7.2k drive with 3GB+, you will see near to no difference as compared to a huge difference on a 5.4k drive with 1 GB of ram. If you fit in the second category it is worthwhile, if you fit into the first I would not even worry about about.

7. MonkeyMhz

MonkeyMhz Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yea, I agree. I wouldn't bother using ready boost unless your low on ram. I gave it a try, and for me, it was useless.

8. CA36GTP

CA36GTP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Readyboost is primarily designed to allow older computers with slow hard drives and minimal amounts of RAM to run Vista as smoothly as possible. It doesn't really serve a gaming performance purpose.

Depending on what kind of games you're trying to run, I'd say 1GB for XP and 2GB for Vista is the minimum to get decent performance.

9. terminus123

terminus123 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    4GB ram should handle today's and the a couple years in the future.

10. funky monk

funky monk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    4gb is fine for most games, the only ones which would see an increase in performance are crysis, gta 4 etc.

In the long run, don't bother going higher than 4gb unless you need it for other programs which do a lot of number crunching. Once you go past 4gb the prices normally ramp up a lot too