Opinions on the N56JR..

Discussion in 'Asus' started by BubbaRob, Nov 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morkys

morkys Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok, thanks.

Bytecc ext sata hdd enclosure and separate adapter not working so good. Read about them and worried they don't work well. Any N56 users have luck with Vantec hdd enclosures? Thinking of trying one of those.

Small text on laptop giving me a headache. Hope new glasses will help, but changing text size in windows, chrome and apps is clumsy. Before 14 days are up I am going to re-visit 17.3" asus laptops before settling in with this one.

2. Sxooter

Sxooter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    1: I use whatever's cheap this week at microcenter for external USB 3.0 enclosures and they seem to mostly work fine.

2: Changing text size in chrome or firefox is just CTRL+ and CTRL- for me.

But I totally get the small text thing. I'd think a 17.3" with 1920x1080 would be a nice step up in scaling but they seem hard to find, many 17.3" are still 1600x900.

3. brandall

brandall Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm thinking about getting the Microcenter version of this. The price seems impossible to beat for what you get. My other considerations were the N550JV and the Lenovo y510p. This seems to have a good balance and to be the best value among these models.

My one question is whether the Microcenter version(the one with MH in the model) has Bluetooth or not, and which wireless card is included(is it dual band or not?). Anyone who has received the Microcenter version, can you confirm these things or not?

Thanks!

Brent

4. Sxooter

Reputations:
    The y510p with dual GT755M is definitely the more "hot rod" of the two laptops, but it runs hotter and SLI is still a bit of a "not quite as good as it sounds" technology. At the $1k or so price point the N56JR is one of the better values out there.

5. brandall

Reputations:
    Thanks. That's what I've heard. The features of the N56JR-MH71 seem to be the best all-around value in this price range, which is awesome. I do have a desktop that is custom built by me for gaming and heavier work, so I don't NEED the laptop to be a grunt in that area. So I'm thinking that the features I get in the N56JR are more worth it for me. I do a LOT of graphic design and video work, so the extra RAM can come in handy, along with the faster primary hard drive.

Plus, I just can't get on with the look of the y510p. I think the ASUS models just look more slick and "professional", which helps since I work in a corporate environment a lot.

If anyone knows about the Bluetooth and wireless card questions, just let me know! Thanks!

Brent

6. Sxooter

Reputations:
    I work from home 99% of the time, and drive 8 hours to my home office every 3 months for a week or two. Last time I drove out three different people asked me if I'd switched to a Mac when they saw my Asus. I've used electrical tape to cover the shiny asus logo on the inside of the lid because I found it very distracting. Then I point out my "Mac" has a numeric keypad...

7. brandall

Reputations:
    Haha, that's awesome! I wouldn't be surprised if I get that kind of response. The place I work, our graphic design and magazine layout departments ALL use Mac products. Everyone knows I'm a very big Windows guy. So I'm sure somebody will wonder when I bought a Macbook Pro, lol.

I'll probably reply with "nope, I just got a similar laptop for half the price!".

Brent

8. gongtowjai

gongtowjai Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm not sure about the Bluetooth. Wireless card: Atheros AR9485 Single Band Frequency. There is a casing blocking the screw to change the card, which I'm having trouble doing. I'm still looking for a way to replace the wireless card inside...dremel some plastic off....or get a Wifi usb adapter.

9. brandall

Reputations:
    Ok. So you have the Microcenter version, correct? Just making sure since I've heard that the wireless card differs depending on where you got it(or is the MH71 model only available at Microcenter? Haven't seen it elsewhere, come to think of it).

Brent

10. gongtowjai

gongtowjai Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, I brought mine from Microcenter. MH71 model.