Opinions on the N56JR..

Discussion in 'Asus' started by BubbaRob, Nov 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gongtowjai

gongtowjai Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1) I heard issues regarding about the video drivers and w 8.1. I guess don't update them until there are some stability. You can switch over screens in w 8 to look windows 7.
    I replace my hdd to a ssd (samsung 840 evo 250gb) and install win 7. I need to switch back to hdd to create a recovery disk to load win 8 to ssd if I chose to in the future.

2)This is one my issue stated above in this thread...if you are comfort in 802.1 g/n environment then, you are good. But I run 802.1 ac at home...hence I would want to change the wireless card to ac.

3) You can try to reduce power...the video card can be disable to use the intel graphics chip..

4) weight wise...17.3 is a little heavier.

5) nope.
    6) not too sure here...but I don't think so, like that...hdmi stands alone..probably good on the other two.

Hope this helps.

2. morkys

morkys Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Doh! I thought I asked too many questions, so I edited it down. Thank-fully you quoted in your reply, so I get it.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Reading this and the geforce thread, it seems like the upgrade works and the error code 43 is gone with the new driver, provided you get it to be recognized, if you have to use power without battery. So are you saying even without code 43 issues, people are having other compatibility issues with the new driver?

My laptop box says WLAN: CB-802.11BGN_WW+BT 4.0.
    What is ac? Newer wireless hardware or protocol? Better than bgn?

250 GB is quite a bit smaller than the 750 GB. Is the SSD that much faster? Do you notice big improvement in performance? I would like SSD and HDD but I like BD so I will keep HDD. Perhaps a hybrid SSD/HDD would be a better option for me if better than regular HDD. I am probably ok for now though. Upgrading from a 3 GB desktop with an AMD64 3000+. The laptop cpu is over 16 times faster alone by cpu passmark ratings. Also my desktop video card was an ancient Geforce2 GTS bc I did not game...lol.

Do the SSD use more or less power on average vs a HDD? How long will an SSD last?

3. gongtowjai

Reputations:
    no problem....that's why we are here on the forum to ask and be inform.

I really can't answer on the video drivers bc I just got the laptop yesterday but,have been doing some research. Using win 7 on the SSD...

802.1 ac is the newer wireless hardware/protocol that has huge bandwidth...it is indeed better than b/g/n...it depends on which frequency you are on. 2.4ghz or 5ghz... 5 ghz has less interference than 2.4 since almost everyone is on that frequency even if you secure your wifi. You may skip this version...I heard ad is up & coming with higher frequency, higher bandwidth? need to read up....I'm fine with the SSD storage for this laptop. If I do need more, I can setup an external drive storage or go to my desktop. If you go hybrid on this laptop, you will need to take out the cd/dvd drive out. SSD will always be faster than HDD....I do notice it on my desktop. I may have to tweak some settings on the laptop. SSD uses less power than HDD. I think SSD can last pretty long since there is less mechanical parts than HDD. SSD is very light.

4. Sxooter

Sxooter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Modern SSDs have write cycle life that's so high you'd have to put them in a very busy database server to wear them out in anything less than a few decades. And they are MUCH faster than spinning drives like you said. While they're a fair bit faster reading sequentially (think copying a big video file etc) they are literally hundreds of times faster at random access (think booting up or loading scenery in a game) and that shows in daily use quite a bit. It's not uncommon for folks to yank out the DVD drive like you mentioned and get a caddy to put a spinning drive in that bay, so that you can have large storage for less accessed files, and the fast SSD for whatever you work with most often.

I hadn't heard of 802.11ad yet. Seems every time I blink the wireless standard gets faster lately. Still 802.11ac is several times faster than 802.11n. The newest 802.11ac hardware can approach gigabit ethernet speed. I can't imagine how much faster and better 802.11ad will be with empty bandwidth to play with.

I replaced the broadcom / atheros wifi on my N56DP with an Intel 6250 802.11n card and the throughput is about twice as much under normal usage. I went from ~2.5MB/s to almost 4MB/s on 2.4GHz and well over 6MB/s on 5GHz with it. Got it off ebay for $15 or so delivered so it's a cheap upgrade. Sadly the intel N56 machines seem to have part of the case in the way of removing the wifi card... Not so the AMD ones.

5. gongtowjai

Reputations:
    wow...no wonder i couldn't find anything on it...I have the intel cpu...darn...i have to think about it, if i want to cut the casing or not...I just restart laptop...boot time is like less than 10 sec on win 7 ultm....also streaming under 802.11ac is bit better....

6. mark77

mark77 Newbie

Reputations:
    hi!
    i just bought an n56jr.
    can someone suggest the correct steps to upgrade to windows 8.1 and avoid the errors.

thanks in advance

ps. shall i upgrade the bios?

7. morkys

morkys Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info folks.

So I take it there are plenty of ways to make windows 8 / 8.1 look and feel like windows 7? I would like to try and keep windows 8 and upgrade to 8.1 to enjoy its benefits, but I'd like it to look like win 7.

Man the text is really small on the 15.6" screen at 1080 res. As I said, was originally going to pick up the N750JV-DB71-CA but the 15.6" laptops seem to be a good size and weight. Yesterday, before starting my laptop, I dropped by another store and looked at the 17.3" screen of the N750JV near the N56JR laptop I bought and I admit the 17.3" screen didn't look as nice. Being 43 going on 44 though, the old presbyopia is rearing it's ugly head. I wear glasses and I will be getting a prescription that should help my reading small print. I don't think I'll have an issue with wifi right now.

Guess I'll research SSD drives now.

8. gongtowjai

Reputations:
  9. stodge

stodge Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I bought my wife a N56JR in January and it's suffering from the wobbling cursor when plugged into specific outlets. Is this a problem with the outlet or is the N56JR just "sensitive"? Should I return it and look for something else?

10. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I use Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements on my Windows 8 notebook and have it set up to look just like 7 on my desktop.