Opinions on ITX build

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by radji, Apr 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
  2. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    That's a nice case (all those cases were nice). But too big for the area on the desk I have to work with. That's why I'm looking more towards ITX towers.

3. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    If you're worried about space get one of these. I am very impressed with the one I got with the projector inside it. The projector isn't the highest resolution but it works great for young kids who just want a 90" TV.

With the projector on, watching a movie via XBMC off of a 500gb USB drive it used a total of 22 watts from my wall. Can't beat that.

4. baii

baii Sone

Reputations:
    For causal user, I would really get a SSF or nuc, stick in a SSD and call it a day.

5. radji

Reputations:
    Space on her desk is limited, but not that limited. I worry more about a system that small not being able to handle the 20+ tabs she has open at any given time. And that's just her regular usage.

Plus it has to run dual monitors, and no less than 4 USB peripherals simultaneously.

6. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    My little projector can run Dual monitor. I think it can run dual monitor AND the projector but I haven't actually tried it yet. 20+ tabs are all on the ram, those little i3 CPU's keep up with that plenty well, put 4 or 8 gb of ram in there and you're set.

I just wouldn't be that worried about it being under powered. As long as you aren't gaming or encoding with it then it should be plenty fine. These new processors put off so little heat you can run them passively too, no fans needed if you do it right.

7. Mr.Koala

Mr.Koala Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    i3 is way more than enough for 20+ tabs. As long you have RAM it would fine.

There're also more powerful mini PC models if needed.

8. radji

Reputations:
    Here are the straight requirements:

-support for 2 monitors. She has a wide screen and a regular (4:3) screen monitor. She refuses to get another wide screen monitor...don't ask why. So the little mini PC has to have a Dual-DVI port to connect to both monitors.

-built in Wi-Fi. Non negotiable. I'm not running a network cable clear across the house.

-The internal storage needs to have at least 256GB. She saves a lot of stuff to her desktop. It will take some registry tricks to get her documents folders to default to an external drive or NAS.

-Minimum of 4 USB ports

-8GB of ram. She's got 4GB right now so I want to up it in this new system.

You all know of any mini PCs out there that meet these specs?

9. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
  10. radji

Reputations:
    Wow. Those things have some good benchmarks. But for that price, I could build the ITX system with SSD included in the price...and I don't have to worry about getting an external enclosure for the optical drive or buy an NAS enclosure for her current HDD.

Yet, those things are sooooo tiny...

Decisions, decisions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.