Opinions on ITX build

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by radji, Apr 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Looking seriously at surprising my aunt with a new desktop. She deserves it. With all she's done for me and everyone else, she still uses the same Compaq tower with Windows XP she has for around 6 years.

Never built an ITX system before. They've got mixed reviews. I just worry about the cooling issues common in these compact systems. The Dell Inspiron I got my sister 9 years ago was of the pseudo-ITX variety. And that thing would overheat no matter how many desk fans were trained on it.

This is the case I planned on using (if that matters):
    http://www.geeksstore.com/Products/CS6802BK

And motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130786

And CPU: http://www.geeksstore.com/Products/BX80646I34150-BOX

She would only be using this for general purpose computing. Opinions? Condemnations?

2. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    I'm running a 3570k in my Silverstone Milo ML04B with four 80mm fans and a zalman hunk of copper. Its quiet and never gets hot at all. I've also go a GTX 750 low profile in there so it pushes my 4 monitors easily. When gaming the GPU maxes out at about 70C running 100%.

Zalman just came out with a mini version of my heatsink that will probably fit in your case nicely. My brother uses one of them on his mini-ITX i7-4790k and it does just fine.

If you do go with these heatsinks, then remember to install your ram first and make sure you have clearance, with some motherboards I can't get the ram in after the heatsink is mounted.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  3. radji

Reputations:
    I like that heatsink. Just not sure if it would make clearance since the zif socket is so close to the ram DIMMS. I'll have to see what else I can find in ITX motherboards which leave some separation between the CPU and RAM.

4. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    I know it fits on this motherboard. But like I said, I had to install my RAM before the heatsink, and remove the heatsink to get the RAM out later.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...04&cm_re=asrock_itx_ac-_-13-157-504-_-Product

With this RAM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148558

You could get one from amazon and if it doesn't fit send it back.

On a side note, that ASrock has a pretty nice sound card, I really miss having it but I changed back to a larger board for more PCI slots.

5. radji

Reputations:
    Yeah, I figured I could always return/exchange the heatsink if I can't get it to fit. But I don't want to have to compromise on the RAM due to the heatsink.

6. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    If you jump up to a micro ATX motherboard it will still fit in your case, and it will spread the components out a little more.

7. radji

Reputations:
    I thought about a micro ATX. But that severely limits the cases and/or motherboards I can choose from. And I want to keep the case to a mini ITX case. She doesn't have space for a mid tower on her desk. Her current mid tower sits on the floor sucking in every spec of dust available.

8. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Not sure what kind of cooling issues you expect with only an i3 in there. You're not planning on GPU, right?

9. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    I was just going off of the case you linked, which is a Micro ATX case. but either way, you can make those nice heatsinks work on either size board if you pick the right one.

KK1 is right, with an i3 you don't need much for cooling. When I put one of these Zalman coolers on my old i3-3225 I bench marked it with all my fans turned off, including the CPU heatsink fan and the temps never went high enough for me to worry.

At an idle with my i5-3570k my CPU sits about 7-8C higher than ambient temp. At 70% load it is 25C above ambient temp. putting it around 47C.

10. radji

Reputations:
    Correct.
    Her current mid tower has an inexpensive PCIe GPU that I can use in the new system.

I'll be damned...it is a slimline ATX. I will have a look at mATX boards to see what's out there then. The reason I chose the case I did was because it allows for a 5.25" Optical drive bay as well as separete 2.5" and 3.5" drives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.