Opinions on 4k gaming on laptop

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Laptopsteve, Jun 29, 2017.

1. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Not true. Opinion, yes. Fact, no.

chezzzz and Midas Touch like this.
  2. Midas Touch

Midas Touch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So does that mean running 4K with a GTX 1050 will still have the same performance as running 1080p with a GTX 1050?

chezzzz likes this.
  3. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    We're talking about being able to tell the difference resolution wise, of course a 1050 is going to struggle at 4K with more demanding titles.

4. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    4k is 4x the pixel count so of course a 1050 will struggle to push an image that's 4x 1080p than just 1080p.

5. thegreatsquare

thegreatsquare Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I wouldn't get 4k for another 1-2 GPU cycles to use that resolution reliably for a few years after purchase. 1080p & various applications of DSR will get you a good image consistent across all titles if you have enough GPU power to up resolution at least somewhat most of the time.

chezzzz and TBoneSan like this.
  6. cooldex

cooldex Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    yea you'll definitely need a gtx 1070 or better to play games maxed with fluent fps

chezzzz likes this.
  7. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    My problem is that I've been spoiled by 120Hz gaming, so I'm not going 4K until 4K/120Hz is realistic.

My next laptop has to have a high quality 1440p/120Hz G-Sync panel.

I still wish amazing 1440p laptop panels were being prioritized over jumping to 4K prematurely. To me 2160p isn't legit until an Nvidia xx70 level card can do the games of its time at a fluid 4K/60fps, no drops. We're still a couple years away from that happening, meanwhile 1440p/120Hz is the perfect fit for today's cards..

HTWingNut, Midas Touch and chezzzz like this.
  8. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This thread is also relevant to this topic: What is the point of 4k on small display?

As for me, I have a 4K television that I do most of my gaming on, but I set my gaming resolution to 1080p because my GTX 1060 is in no way capable of playing 4K at a decent framerate. I agree with @Kevin - there's little point to having a 4K display on a gaming laptop until graphics cards can push out 60fps without severely dialing down quality. I certainly don't plan on buying a notebook with a 4K display anytime soon--unless the notebook market decides that the only way to get a decent-quality display is to get a 4K display. (That's actually why I have a 4K television now. I was in the market for a new television a few months back, and I would have been fine with a 1080p, but the televisions with the better contrast ratios, lower input lag, less motion blur, better upconversion technology, etc. are all 4K televisions these days.)

One day, we'll all be gaming on 4K or 8K displays with excellent scaling and 240hz, along with GPUs that can push out 240+ fps on ultra quality settings. Aliasing, screen tearing, and input lag will all be things of the past. But we're not there yet, and there's no need make sacrifices in quality settings or FPS just so you can game at 4K. It's not worth it.

The other point is that we're getting quickly diminishing returns with resolution increases, as there are limits to how much detail our eyes can discern at normal viewing distances and typical screen sizes. I'm much more excited for advancements in OLED and especially "true QLED" (not that fake QLED crap Samsung just started pushing under a false name for marketing reasons) than I am for advancements in screen resolution. These display technologies will make games look incredibly better than 16K resolution ever could.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017 at 11:10 PM
    HTWingNut, Midas Touch and chezzzz like this.
  9. rsdx

rsdx Newbie

Reputations:
    This is what I am using with 3k x 120hz and 1 1080 (no SLI):
    https://avell.com/fullrange-w1843-iron-v4
    Also 4 memory banks (usually there is only 2) and 2 HDD bays and 3 SataM2 slots.

chezzzz likes this.
  10. Bongripper666

Bongripper666 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    But it's not IPS.

chezzzz likes this.