Opinions on 4k gaming on laptop

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Laptopsteve, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Laptopsteve

Laptopsteve Newbie

Reputations:
    Does 4k on 15" / 17" screens seem to make a difference compared to 1080p?

I tried comparing 4k and 1080p on fallout 4 on a 17", 4k seemed a slight bit more sharper, but not that different.

I also tried Witcher 3 on 4k and 1080p, I really couldn't tell a difference tbh.

Wondering what other people might think based on their experiences and other games.

2. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Stick with 1080p.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

TR2N likes this.
  3. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I love my 4K panel. I will never go back to lowdpi.

4. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    I'll chose frame rate over res every time. 60hz no matter what res is a deal breaker for me. Everyone is different on this. I'd like the 4K for viewing photos but for everything else on a 15/17" I'd find uncomfortable.

jaug1337, HTWingNut and Arondel like this.
  5. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have an 18.4inch panel at 4K on my GX800...yes it looks much, much better than 1080P

hfm likes this.
  6. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Blah

Reputations:
    100% agreed. FPS is king for gaming. I still think 4K is way too high res for a 15-17" display. I'm happy with 3440 x 1440 for my desktop display and that's still not same pixels as 4K and 1080 Ti struggles at times to keep up with it at 60FPS with many newer games. You need to run 4K at 1080p anyhow on a 15" display for desktop work to be able to see icons/text.

With gaming, native 1080p display at 1080p vs 4K at 4K with 15" LCD it'd be hard to tell the difference. You might be able to notice 1080p running on 4K may not look as crisp but that's only because pixels are being "stretched" or "interpolated" to fit the higher res.

jaug1337, TBoneSan and TR2N like this.
  7. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Blah

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

hfm, MadHater, killkenny1 and 3 others like this.
  8. Bongripper666

Bongripper666 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is there a visible difference between 15" and 17" in 1080p?

The more i read on NBR, the more i'm moving away from 3/4k panels, if gaming is involved, even the non-shooting type.

9. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm tempted to install a 4K just for SnGs!

10. Ramzay

Ramzay Notebook Connoisseur

Reputations:
    The big advantage for 4K panels is they tend to be much better than your average 1080p panel. They are typically much brighter, cover more of the colour spectrum and are more colour-accurate. It is rare to find a bad UHD panel - but it is quite common to find a bad FHD IPS panel nowadays (sadly).

UHD panels are to FHD panels as IPS panels used to be to TN panels. In the past, OEMs would pick cheap TN panels to keep the cost down, while any IPS panels offered would typically be really good, as they charged a premium for them. We're now slowly headed in the direction where OEMS now pick cheap FHD IPS panels to keep costs down, while if a UHD panel is offered, it's likely being offered at a large premium, and is quite a good panel. Much like in the past, it isn't that UHD panels are by their very nature better than FHD panels - it's that if an OEM bothers to offer an UHD panel, it'll likely be a good one. By the same token, an OEM might view the FHD IPS panel as the "stock" panel on their budget systems, and will therefore source a cheap one to keep costs down.

This isn't an absolute truth however, as there are some really good 1080p panels out there. But often times, people will pick the UHD panel because it is much better than the 1080p display option for the particular notebook they're buying. A lot of OEMs pick a bad/average 1080p panel for their entry/mid-level spec systems and then have a top-tier spec system with a really good UHD panel.

Since you'd be scaling everything to 1080p anyway (including setting it to 1080p in games), the only real drawbacks to a UHD panel are the occasional software program that doesn't scale well and the hit to battery life.

EDIT: To give you an idea, the "standard" FHD IPS panel that comes with the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 gaming and the Latitude is an LG panel with 300 nits/ 67% sRGB (though the brightness drops to around 250 nits after calibration, due to rather high Delta E). If you get an UltraSharp FHD display (available on the Precision models) you get a panel with 300 nits/ 92% sRGB (with low Delta E). The UHD panel you can get on the Inspiron 15 7000 gaming features around 360 nits of brightness and 97% sRGB (reasonable Delta E). In other words, even one of Dell's top-end FHD UltraSharp panels (which is only available on their top-end Precision line) is somewhat inferior to the UHD panel you can get on Dell's consumer-grade Inspiron.

I personally don't see too much of a difference, but there is a PPI/DPI difference, given its the same resolution spread over a bigger/smaller area. The 15" panel will look sharper than the 17".

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    Bongripper666 and chezzzz like this.