Opinion poll- Buy a new car now or wait a while longer?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by allfiredup, May 30, 2009.

?

Keep my '06 Mazda3 or buy a new '10 Mazda3?

Poll closed Jun 6, 2009.
  1. Keep the '06 until the wheels fall off...

44.4%
  2. Go for the new ride (2010 Mazda3 5-door)!

55.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmazingGracePlayer

AmazingGracePlayer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't really do my math based on a lot of those numbers you used... Depreciation isn't really an issue unless I plan on selling my car after 5 years. So unless you plan on selling your car at the end of 5 years (exactly 5 years, no more no less), it shouldn't matter. Also, the CTS may have depreciated the most in the first year since 08 was when the new model was released and the depreciation may be constantly dropping, while on the other hand, the Mazda may depreciate at a constant rate; I didn't do research like you did, so I'm just saying that it's a possibility, not only for these two cars, but for other cars as well. Insurance is not only dependent on the car, but also on the driver, so it varies from person to person. Fuel cost is the same concept, it doesn't depend solely on the car, but depends on how and where the person drives. Maintenance as well, most maintenance I can do by myself on my Accord, and I plan on doing the same as well for the CTS. As for finance, I paid for mine with cash...

2. TravisBean

TravisBean Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well, welcome to the lifestyles of the poor and impoverished. I purchased my 92 Crown Vic in 2002 for $1650. Since then I've spent a total of $350 for a new alternator, new battery, and front brakes. Total cost of ownership= $2000. Wow factor=0.
    At any rate, my vehicle had already depreciated about as much as it could depreciate, at the time of purchase, and the total cost of operation has been about 20 cents per mile. And on the plus side, it's still good, smooth, basic transportation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.