Opinion poll- Buy a new car now or wait a while longer?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by allfiredup, May 30, 2009.

?

Keep my '06 Mazda3 or buy a new '10 Mazda3?

Poll closed Jun 6, 2009.
  1. Keep the '06 until the wheels fall off...

44.4%
  2. Go for the new ride (2010 Mazda3 5-door)!

55.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. umass

umass Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How close are you in paying off your current car? If you are still years away it may be a good time to buy but if you are close to paying it off keep it till the wheels fall off.

2. allfiredup

allfiredup Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    There are two colors that I'm torn between- Celestial Blue (electric blue) and Gunmetal Blue. I also like Graphite, but my '06 MZ3 is Titanium Gray, so it's time for a change.

The Celestial Blue is my favorite, but I'm afraid it might grow old (like the yellow Honda CRXs and Preludes in the late 80s). Gunmetal Blue seems like a safer choice. Both of the blues have black interior. The Graphite at least offers a choice- black or sand interior. Decisions....

3. burkle25

burkle25 Are you a color?

Reputations:
    Celestial Blue is nice, but like you said it might grow old and would be a huge change from the Titanium Gray. The silver metallic and copper red is also nice. Gunmetal blue would be a change but not as 'in your face' as celestial blue. I wish they would bring the green back. I saw it on an '04 Mazda3. I'm tempted to look at them in person. They changed how they painted it.

What color is your interior now?
    I like not having lighter interior. I've dropped entirely too much stuff in my car :p

4. allfiredup

Reputations:
    Nordic Green was a nice color (similar to the classic 'British Racing Green'), but they only offered it on the entry-level "i" models for some reason???

All the '06 's' models have black interior. The only choice I had was between black/red checked cloth seats or solid black leather (I went with the standard checked cloth). The black interior gets so freakin' HOT, especially during Georgia summers!

I really wish it had an option for gray, but they only offer Sand or Black on the new ones. The Sand color still has a black dash and the top half of the door panels are black, too. But it's a moot point because Black is all that's available with either blue color. I'm interested in the 's Sport' model, which has cloth (black leather would be torture in the summer)!

On a separate but somewhat related note, my best friend recently bought a silver Lexus IS 250 with black leather. The seats are both heated AND cooled...maybe that feature will trickle down someday to lesser cars...

5. Tippey764

Tippey764 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    LOL that fake () delyed Manual mode is stupid in my opinion. My mom has an automatic mazda 3 i know.

6. AmazingGracePlayer

AmazingGracePlayer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    With 20 grand you can get a certified pre-owned car 10 times more luxurious than the Mazda. Personally, I'm strongly against buying new cars, because they depreciate like crazy as soon as the front tires roll out of the dealer's parking lot... I bought an 07 Cadillac CTS with 23k miles on it for roughly 25 grand give or take. A new one of those would cost 45 grand. That's American cars. Japanese cars depreciate a little less, but they still depreciate. You can get an 07 or 08 Lexus IS 250 for 25 grand, when a new one costs 35 or more.

7. TravisBean

TravisBean Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thats one side of the coin. The other is that if you wait till the end of the year, when the new models are comming out, you can sometimes get a brand new car for only 3 grand more than a certified pre-owned. At least that's the trend I've noticed on new Impalas.
    http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...oors=&car_year=2008&max_price=17000&cardist=0

8. AmazingGracePlayer

AmazingGracePlayer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Or, with $17,000, you can get a used Honda Civic Hybrid with as low as 14k miles. Honda are more reliable than American cars, and is just as cheap to get parts for, to repair, and to maintain (the little maintenance and repair Hondas require). And it's a hybrid so it gets better gas mileage. I, myself, have never been a fan of Asian imports, mostly because of their design, but they are very reliable and affordable cars. Whether to get a lower-end new car or a mid to high end used car is an endless debate.

9. burkle25

burkle25 Are you a color?

Reputations:
    stick with Mazda 3 :D

10. allfiredup

Reputations:
    If I was interested in a luxury car, that would be an option for me. But I want the updated version of the car I currently own and love- the Mazda3 5-door.

To test your theory about getting a lot more car for $20k, I used Edmunds TCO (True Cost To Own). TCO factors in depreciation, insurance, fuel cost, maintenance and financing costs in addition to purchase price. I chose the '07 Cadillac CTS 3.6L vs. a new '09 Mazda6 s Sport. Both cars have a selling price within a few hundred bucks of $25,000. Here's the breakdown on how much each car will cost over five years of ownership-

2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6L
    Total Cash Price- $24,718
    True Cost To Own- $44,574
    Cost Per Mile- $0.59

2009 Mazda6 s Sport 4-door
    Total Cash Price- $24,995
    True Cost To Own- $39,805
    Cost Per Mile- $0.53

At the end of five years, the '07 CTS will cost $4800 MORE than buying a brand new '09 Mazda6.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.