Operation: Save my burning legs

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by JonnyWeir, Apr 3, 2012.

1. JonnyWeir

JonnyWeir Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hey guys, this is concerning a Samsung laptop but I figured it'd fit better here because it's about a possible hardware change.

We all know that manufacturers stopped referring to them as laptops and instead as notebooks to try and encourage people not to, you know, use their computers on their laps. That doesn't mean people don't do it, and that's the problem I'm having

I've recently purchased a Samsung Series 9 900X3A-B06US and I have to use it on my lap a lot, to and from airports and on my commute to work (one and a half hours). This is a problem: as hardwarecanucks.com puts it, "the underside sees temperatures that are best reserved for hot asphalt rather than a notebook. We can’t put this more delicately: when its processor is pushed, the Series 9 can become a dangerously hot nut roaster. "

It's driving me mental. The cooling system is all working fine - the CPU temperatures rarely get above 52 degrees and the fan spins up when needed - but sooo much heat goes to the bottom tray of the laptop, which is made of relatively thin powder-coated aluminium.

My Question: Is there any kind of lining I can put in the case to save my legs? Some kind of foam or anything really. It's really uncomfortable to do work on and if I can't cool it down I'm going to have to return it. The fan doesn't change the underside temperature no matter how fast it goes and I can't be carrying around a notebook lap stand on planes and on the train.

If anyone could help that'd be great, I'm at my wit's end.

Thanks,

Jonny

Edit: I should also add that my use-case in these scenarios is not pushing the processor very much and the system's cooling otherwise seems to work well. I'm only word processing or doing light powerpoint and, as stated, the CPU temps rarely get above 52 degrees.

2. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
  3. Kinghong1970

Kinghong1970 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    without going into too much detail... what you're looking for is dead air space.

this is the "trapped" air that acts as insulation barrier between heat source and exterior.

same reason why down jackets are so warm... it keeps body heat in.

for your lap.

1) ridiculous option: make a boxer short out of bubble wrap
    2) reasonable option: try a section of bubble wrap, sandwich it between 2 harder surface and make like a stiff surface so your laptop vent is not covered up and use it as backing
    3) try thicker foam board

or get the lap gear lap desk.

4. Vogelbung

Vogelbung I R Judgemental

Reputations:
  5. contradude

contradude Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Get a lapinator. Its got 3m thinsulate on the bottom so it will help quite a bit. I might also suggest picking up an hp dm1z or something amd fusion powered so that it isn't anywhere near as hot... I also do a lot of hard work on my chromebook and I get well over 5 hours of screen on work time, so this is also an option

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

6. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Sir Pumpkin Longshanks

Reputations:
    quick fix, just get a tea tray.

John.

7. jrwingate6

jrwingate6 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Or a cutting board. One of those thin fiber glass ones.

8. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    With my experiences on Logitech N700 I dare to recommend Logitech N500 too.

N700's fan works with my 2530p and temps are significantly cooler. With 8510w fan doesn't position itself as well but that lapdesk still works as nut cooler :p The air flow does make the difference on the user as well. Cushion material is also such that it won't make skin sweaty underneath.

Eventually boards warm up too, altough it takes longer time. Tried that :)

9. Hassl3

Hassl3 Newbie

Reputations:
    or get a laptop cooler. I got one from bestbuy a year ago and my crotch has never been better