One Year on, Cornwall?s Electric Nissan LEAF Taxi Fleet Have Driven 150,000 Miles

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Tinderbox (UK), May 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) BAKED BEAN KING

Reputations:
  2. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I was told the Prius battery is like $8000 - $12000. It's probably around that.

3. Qing Dao

Qing Dao LORD OF THE UNDERWORLD

Reputations:
    Isn't it cheaper for them to use electric cars because of subsidies and/or tax breaks? Doesn't Nissan sell the Leaf at a loss? Is the success for the company based just on the fact that everyone prefers to take a taxi ride in an electric vehicle when given the choice? Is the overall carbon footprint of the electric vehicles lower than internal combustion alternatives? What about when accounting for all sources of pollution?

I'm a bit skeptical. Hybrid cars are a big joke themselves, being costlier less environmentally friendly than similar internal combustion-only cars. However, I think that all-electric vehicles may be more viable.

4. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    The Leaf AFAIK isn't sold at a loss, but the US Government offers like a 9k tax break on the car, which ends up to be like around 20k USD.

But as J.Dre said its pretty costly to replace the batteries on those things, they are massive. But with electric cars becoming more and more popular, the price is bound to drop.

5. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    In the UK you get around £5K back ($8.5K at current exchange rate), all of which you can spend on broccoli which is no doubt the only food Nissan Leaf's driver's eat. :rolleyes:

It's at least a decent car overall - not that it makes sense to buy one, but at least it's not a complete joke.

6. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    At least here it is. Varies by country. Altough the main money savings come from the trick of not needing gas/diesel.

Overall it might be higer but one reason electric cars are wanted is that they reduce pollution right from the spot where people are and instead the pollution happens in the nuclear power plant further away. Or a coal powered one in some countries. Anyways it happens away from the people and makes air better to breathe.

I've joked several times to my colleagues that if I had an apartment where I could sling an extension cord out of the window, I'd probably have an old Prius fitted with extra batteries as my daily driver. I don't really care that much about emissions but driving with electric only would be much cheaper (from home to office and back is only 10km).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.