OMG: MSI is coming with a GTX 980M SLI notebook!!!

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Cloudfire, Oct 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yeah, it gets expensive and the amount of heat are going to be created by SLI setup. Could go straight back to desktop system instead....

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Well at the moment the gap is fairly slim, of course a titan class maxwell is not out yet. That would be the boring option however ;)

3. DarKaoZ

DarKaoZ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Damn, I'm thinking of buying a MSI GT72 with a 980m card. I want a laptop which I can upgrade for the long run, at least to bump the performance a bit. And I for what I see, you can upgrade the CPU and GPU of the GT72. Reading about this possible SLI Laptop makes me think of waiting for this instead... but then again Black Friday is coming, there might be a possible offer for the GT72 that might make it more desirable.

But im curious, can someone tell me if a SLI will help me out with 3D modeling and Video Edition? I plan to use my laptop for that besides gaming. Or the GT72 with a single 980m is enough?

4. karasahin

karasahin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That keyboard looks good but not upperside.

5. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You can't upgrade the GT72 CPU, it's a BGA.

6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes if you intend to keep the gt72 for some time then the 4980hq cpu in it may be a better bet to last over a long time with gpu upgrades.

7. DarKaoZ

Reputations:
    So the CPU is not upgradable? Hmm... for some reason I thought it would be, at least to a higher end model of the same CPU. Like 4710 to 4980. I assume this new possible SLI notebook will be the same.

8. -=$tR|k3r=-

-=$tR|k3r=- Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    No, the CPU will not be the same for the GT80 Titan...... not if THIS VIDEO is correct. It will be an Extreme Core i7, which is not embedded. :)

9. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Most software programs like 3D modeling and video editing do not take advantage of SLI, really just games do. You will want to check the website of the software programs you are planning on using to double check though.

10. DarKaoZ

Reputations:
    Ok, well this changes things. Hopefully its true, but I wonder how expensive it will be in the end.

Well I do want to game on the laptop, but 3D modeling and Video Edition are for work/hobby. But I'm even thinking a single 980m is sufficient, I mean I been rocking a Gateway 7811-FX for almost 5 years, I think a single 980m will give me enough milage now that I think about it. Still the SLI is tempting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.