OMG, Is it possible to have a good laptopwith 1070 onboard ?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by antonydizzz, Feb 8, 2018.

1. antonydizzz

antonydizzz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello guys.
    I spent a lot of time to understand something about gaming laptops and I got complitelly confused.
    I've decided to get some laptop with i7 7700, gtx 1070, 16gb, 128/256 ssd (apart from 1tb hard).
    As for the display, I really don't know what is good for me.

Now im using macbook pro 15 retina mid 2012, it has very good display but the only thing it runs is heating my coffee during path of exile ruitine trading in 15fps lol. What's the use of....? I mean it has very good display and I like it and It's a pain for me to look at full hd windows desktop. I know that games look awesome on ultras on full hd, I don't want to pay much more for 4k gaming, but the default desktop and daily work some office programs is better on high resolutions.

Today I visited a big digital shop and "touched" some laptops. First was msi ge73vr with 1070 and full hd TN-film display, consultant said this display sucks cuz of TN-film matrix, but actually I didn't see it is so bad or something like that... the second thing he said - msi are not good laptops due to their bad cooling useful time, in terms of having to repair it after 1 year of using. And that I don't need 4k display for 15 or 17 inches, It will not look the same as macbook, I don't know the truth. He adviced me to look at alineware.
    When I saw AW 15 and 17 I was shocked. It is really solid and.... massive. But now Im ready to accept its weight because I really like how it feels. Very good assembly and material quality compare to MSI. BUT! cheking this forum I've found a lot of information about AW cooling system, it's really creepy and there is a need to repaste it after buying. My hands are broken, I swear I destroy it if I try to repaste by myself, I don't want to have a new laptop to repaste right after buying.

So now I really don't know what laptop is good for me. Is it really possible to get a good notebook without any serious heat problems? I know that repasting is nessessary for any laptops but not right after purchasing.
    The second questions is, what about 4k on 15 and 17 inches ? It seems that all games will be run in FH though, and only programs and daily work ruitine will be fine on this resolution, it's ok for me but will it look fine after macbook ?

Thank you guys in advance.

2. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not sure where that "consultant" got his information, but MSI cooling systems are far better than the last few Alienware systems. Its hard to keep the GTX 1070 cool, since its a 120W card, but there are definitely systems that can keep it cool. Also, you should trust what you can actually see over what a consultant says to you - if you think it looks fine then it will be fine. He is more than likely trying to push you to spend more than you want to as he will get a higher commission from it. Its a shame Alienware cooling is poor nowadays, as their build quality is excellent as you said.

Are you looking for a laptop with a dekstop 7700k or the mobile 7700hq? If you want a desktop CPU Clevo/Eurocom/Hidevolution et cetera are the only way to go. For a mobile CPU you can stick with MSI, Gigabyte, Asus et cetera.

I would suggest 1080p over 4k. You can game at 4k, but be prepared to lower the settings in newer games to medium to get a solid 60fps. There can also be some issues with UI scaling at 4k in certain programmes. If you are going for a 15 inch laptop, 1080p is definitely better most of the time. What you should look for instead of resolution are the colour accuracy and contrast figures which are more important imo. My old Alienware M17X has a 17 inch display at 1920x1200 and its by far one of the best displays i've ever seen due to the colour and contrast. At normal viewing distances I can't distinguish the pixels anyway, though it is understandable that coming from the Macbook Pro you'd notice them more.

3. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Get the msi. Cooling is far superior, speakers are far superior, keyboard is far superior. The screen is good, it has good color coverage and high refreshrate. Ips screens suck 90% of the time due to bad color coverage on most of them etc. The only real difference between tn and ips panels are viewing angle and refreshrate. Tn panels have worse viewing angles but have higher refreshrate.

Arrrrbol likes this.
  4. slimmolG

slimmolG Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The AW15 is nice, but a Clevo P650 is ~1.8 lbs lighter and is a solid built machine, with an aluminum chassis and a fairly rigid plastic display lid.

If you buy from a quality reseller like HIDevolution (and others here), for you can have your laptop CPU and GPU professionally repasted with a high quality paste for ~$50, and know that the unit has been personally verified by a tech to have the right thermal control. And, it's all under warranty, which can be a big deal. See my sig for example details, my laptop runs perfectly fine under load.

You really don't need 4K unless your exporting to a big monitor, the upsell for 4K on a small laptop is high, but IMO the actual benefit isn't so great unless you really have a need for fine detail work. I went with the 60Hz IPS display since I really, really dislike the viewing angle issues of TN, and exporting full HD is just fine for me. The color on this IPS display isn't a problem and I applied the money I 'saved' on the 4k display upgrade towards more RAM.

Phoenix and Arrrrbol like this.
  5. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭คעٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ

Reputations:
    Does the TN actually run at a higher refresh? If not I'd get the IPS honestly.

A gaming monitor is easily purchasable for external use (since the MSi can use DP external), but swapping the internal display with a different screen is not.

6. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    Those notebooks run with 120hz monitor. Also going for terrible IPS over good TN is always a bad choice.

TN panel MSI:
    120hz
    100% sRGB,75% AdobeRGB
    Gamma: 2.19
    Contrast: 1410:1
    Avg nits: 280

Alienware IPS:
    60hz
    82% sRGB, 54% AdobeRGB 1998
    Gamma: 2.51
    Contrast: 994:1
    Avg nits: 310

Conclusion: IPS is worse.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  7. slimmolG

Reputations:
    lol, vice-versa is also true
    :p

8. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    Exacly. Sadly most of the times IPS screens are really bad. There are some really nice onces, such as Clevo 4k ones, but that's rather rare. The ones found on most gaming notebooks have really bad contrast, color coverage etc.

slimmolG likes this.
  9. slimmolG

Reputations:
    True, and it all comes down to what you need, what bugs you the most, what you can live with, and unfortunately sometimes, the amount of cash you want to sink in a computer
    --especially if you have other hobbies, work requirements, or desires, like food (!)

10. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭คעٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ

Reputations:
    oh right, that's the Chimei panel isn't it?