Omen 17 8750h RTX 2080 2nd ssd not working

Discussion in 'HP' started by Guitars&Cars, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Burrick

Burrick Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Don't get the firecuda, I sent it back and am just using the 1TB out of my old MSI. It has all kinds of utilization issues and hangs crystal diskinfo, a real POS (like every other seagate product). I use the HD for chunking backblaze uploads.

Also, the Omen 17 is the absolute worst design for the M.2 heatsink/cover that I've ever seen. Different M.2s may or may not come with a thin heat spreader, it simply doesn't fit without either bending the SSD or bowing up in the middle, in which case the thermal pad doesn't make contact. I bought some nylon washers that fit on the post to try to elevate it a bit. I already burned out one ADATA in this machine, now I have an ADATA and Rocket Q and the QLC one runs hot so I don't think it's making contact. While it's under warranty I don't want to snip off the mounting lugs but if anyone else has figured this out please let me know.

2. Guitars&Cars

Guitars&Cars Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i ended up getting Western Digital SN750 1td ssd in position 1 so i may get another for the 2nd m.2 and i want to replace the 1td 2.5 HDD with something. I also completely understand about the lame heat sink for the 2 m.2 slots i had to tweak mine a little poor design indeed!

3. Burrick

Burrick Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It doesn't seem to care which slot the boot drive is in. It came with the H10 in the second slot so I put my replacement boot there, only to find out when adding the second that that's slot 0 (the first).

4. Redbeard

Redbeard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just to chime in here - I had purchased a brand new Samsung 970 EVO from amazon and it might have an issue with this system. I was getting lock ups and data corruption. Also the drive magician software never recognized it even though it was the boot drive. I reinstalled Windows, tried different boot modes but nothing worked. I ended up returning the SSD to Amazon and got a cheaper silicon power SSD that worked fine. I might have had a bad drive or maybe it was just not compatible.

5. Burrick

Burrick Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Was it overheating? That was the issue with mine.

6. Redbeard

Redbeard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That was not the case for me at least. I love the Samsung SSDs in general but I spent a lot of time troubleshooting the issue.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L6DKM8V

This one has been working great for me. 0 issues at a much lower price.

7. Guitars&Cars

Reputations:
    That sounds EXACTLY like what just happened too me !!!!!!!!!

8. Guitars&Cars

Reputations:
    On a better note! This WD Black SN750 1TB IS Kicking Ass IMO100%