Omen 17 8750h RTX 2080 2nd ssd not working

Discussion in 'HP' started by Guitars&Cars, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Guitars&Cars

Guitars&Cars Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    typo i7 9750H !!!! Hi all so i purchased a Samsung 970 evo plus 1tb and installed it in slot 2 or what i thougt was slot 2 . its not seeing the drive is there somthing special i need to do in the bios? also i looked up the manual and it says that slot 1 is the inner or left slot but the oem drive is in the outer slot or right slot . i just added the evo to slot 2(left inner) thinking it would do raid 0? and add them together but no dice. so in the morning im gonna try and go too micro center and get a m.2 adapter and clone it with macrium but how do i get the second slot to operate? my model is 17-cb0050nr i believe

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  2. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Press Win+X, open Disk Manager, it should be there, saying unallocated disk or something similar, format and attribute a drive letter and its done.

Also, never do RAID arrays with dissimilar disks.

3. Guitars&Cars

Reputations:
    so i went and got a ssd enclosure and installed the 970 in that and still nothing. i tried to initialize the drive and it says critical hardware failure in disk manager. also says drive but says space unknown and at times initialize would be grayed out... just for the heck of it i pulled the ssd from my xps 9570 and i read it right away! so the brand new Samsung 970 evo plus 1tb is DOA! and that explains why the OMEN does not see it in windows or the bios i will be ordering a WD Black SN750 1tb and yes i will be buying a duplicate drive and doing RAID
    Production date of the samsung 02/28/2020

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  4. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    RMA or send the Samsung back.
    Also, RAID0 of high end NVMe SSD's doesn't make much sense, because you are limited by the PCIe interface and will end up adding more overhead due to the RAID, unless its a mirror, RAID0 will only net you slim gains in sequential read/write speed.

5. Guitars&Cars

Reputations:
    my intentions are to mirror my apology thats RAID 1

6. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just remember that a RAID1 is not a backup, it only covers a drive failure, nothing more.

7. Guitars&Cars

Reputations:
    which one is the backup where it remirrors after u replace it or can i not do that

also do you have any recommendations? i was going to do raid 1 and replace the 1tb 5400 with a firecuda 2.5 2tb or a 2.5 ssd

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  8. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A RAID1 is a mirror, but its a live mirror, any change done is done to both disks, if you want backups, grab a NAS, even a basic 2 disks unit will be more reliable than running a RAID1 on the laptop.

Guitars&Cars likes this.
  9. Guitars&Cars

Reputations:
    ok thank you very much for your help

10. Guitars&Cars

Reputations:
    Screenshot (7).png Screenshot (8).png what about optane? can i Raid 0 Two optane 512gb +32 and tie them to the 2.5 space ? im trying to use both m.2 slots and have it be practical. i screen shot from the amanual the oem m.2 drive options and also screen shots from the oem optane software

Attached Files: