Omen 17 2020 - RTX 2080 Super™

Discussion in 'HP' started by cope123abc, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Guvernator

Guvernator Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've updated the BIOS and command center and yes it does let you do an auto or custom undervolt even on 10 series CPU's. Auto set it to a -0.070 undervolt so I tried custom\manual and have got it up to -0.120, any higher and I get occasional system crashes.

The laptop is still running a bit hot for my liking, I'm seeing occasional spikes to 91c on the CPU's even with the undervolt when running triple AAA title games on ultra settings. Funnily enough the GPU is fine in the low 70's range.

I may have to go for a repaste but I'm a bit reluctant to open up a brand new laptop. I have a 3 year HP care pack with mine, does opening up your laptop invalidate that in anyway?

2. luca88

luca88 Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry if I wrote you again, but neither hp want give me that file, I just need a dumb from gpuz of your vbios, please, I got 3200 euro laptop broken.....help me :confused:

3. luca88

luca88 Newbie

Reputations:
    I tried to flash a ROM file from an alienware area 51m r2, with the 2080 super 200 watt and it corrupted my vbios, still trying to repair it because I forgot to make a backup before, dell still didn't release the vbios for the r2, the 2080 with the 200 watt dell vbios give better 3d mark scores than the 2080 super with the 150 watt vbios, not much, less than 5%, I hope someone with the 2080 super give me his .ROM file from gpuz, or I'll can't repair my laptop

4. OneSickOmen17t

OneSickOmen17t Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    PM'd

5. GENOCID

GENOCID Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Im about to hit and buy this monster, after discount i can get it for 1619£ its a 10750h with rtx 2080 super, how is the temps, does it get really hot when playing for a longer times? i heard they keep restarting , do you guys experience any problems? most important thing is temps for me,

6. OneSickOmen17t

OneSickOmen17t Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have almost the same but with a i9. See signature. HP thermal paste is garbage. Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut is really good but after long gaming sessions at 80-85° it seems to thin out and then the spread between core temperatures grow. I'm now on Noctua HT-N2 and it's been great. Basically under 80° to max 85°c. Mine cost $3018 in July but it had a very slight nick on the lid and they gave me $318 back. Then I bought the 2TB NVMe .2 for $250. So $3000.