Omen 17 2020 - RTX 2080 Super™

Discussion in 'HP' started by cope123abc, Jun 8, 2020.

1. OneSickOmen17t

OneSickOmen17t Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  2. neit_jnf

neit_jnf Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    yes

OneSickOmen17t likes this.
  3. Sickox

Sickox Newbie

Reputations:
  4. OneSickOmen17t

OneSickOmen17t Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    He's undervolting on a 9th Gen processor. Me and you can't do that on 10th Gen.

5. axalt

axalt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  6. neit_jnf

neit_jnf Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    yes I'm undervolting a 9th gen but I also upped the power limits, can that be done on the 10th? maybe that helps with performance

7. JCordero31

JCordero31 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    anybody manage to mod the 2080 super to the full fat 200w like they did for the previous model?

8. Guvernator

Guvernator Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Picked my Omen 17 up two days ago with an i7 10750 plus 2080 super GPU and so far I'm very pleased with it. It's a bit of a beast in terms of size. At first I was going to go for a thinner gaming laptop but after reading dozens of posts on how bad slim laptops are at thermal management, I decided to go for something a bit more substantial. With heavy gaming use the CPU cores do hit the low 80's with some peaks at 86-87 but I think that is acceptable for now. I use a Targus cooling pad which helps a little and HP have just released an update to the Command Center, it's now called Command hub and has a built in undervolt feature so I I'll be messing around with that and the performance profiles over the next day or so to see if I can come up with a workable combo.

I think the temps aren't too high but could be a bit better. I may also try a repaste at some point but don't really want to crack open my brand new laptop just yet.

Rocking some solid FPS numbers on Ultra settings in my favorite games though so very happy for now. For the price I paid for it on a Black Friday deal I think it's an absolute steal for this spec. Might try to pick up a couple of ray tracing enabled titles too over the next few days, just to see what all the fuss is about.

9. luca88

luca88 Newbie

Reputations:
    Ho Onesickomen17, May i ask you a dumb of your vbios file? I've made a mistake with mine flashing the area51 MR2 vbios and now my laptop don't show nothing anymore, I talked with a friend and he told me we need a vbios file from an identical motherboard, could you help me please? It's not si easy to find who bought the 10885h model

10. Alexrose1uk

Alexrose1uk Music, Media, Game

Reputations:
    Guys, worth checking you've got the latest BIOS and the latest versions of the Omen control panel. They seem to have just added FAR more comprehensive keyboard lighting controls, and also auto/manual undervolting directly via the Omen software. (at least for my model, I can't vouch for 10 series CPUs)

I am happy with static lighting and my throttlestop solution, but if that stops working for some reason, its nice to have the option built in.