OMEN 1070 Laptop 100C

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by collegekid28, Feb 17, 2017.

1. collegekid28

collegekid28 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wow this thing really took off didn't it. Anyways I love HP laptops. The reason being is HP has always taken care of me when I had a problem. I buy a care pack and they fix any problem I throw at them. As for this laptop it was new with not a lot of info so thought I would ask before talking to HP. Some very good info here. I told HP about the over heating problem and because this laptop was a replacement for a 850M (gotta love that warranty) and I had to wait a month already they sent me something already built (not custom) which was the same laptop but with the 7700HQ (like a faster CPU will help this problem). It comes today, I will give it a quick test and if I can cook food on it again will proceed with some of the mods / fixes mentioned in this post. Thank you for answering a lot of my questions.

2. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 what is quality control?

Reputations:
    Do check if opening laptop void warranty.

3. collegekid28

Reputations:
    I can replace the hdd (requires taking the bottom off) and be fine. I have checked in the past. I also have accidental damage too.

4. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    taping the heatsink off and replacing TIM with liquid metal may not be covered

5. collegekid28

Reputations:
    I know right lol... I ran a gpu test. Gpu boosted to 1850 fine and held at 80C but all cpu cores were over 90 and two at 97 & 98.

6. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    HP laptops are bottom of the barrel, I don't see how you can love them.

They can't handle the heat.

7. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    1850 on what test?

this omen 17 on stock only does 1440~mhz on firestrike ultra loop hitting max power spec 115w

shorting the two R005 resistor using liquid metal on the motherboard doesn't help, seems like need to solder a wire on it

8. Mobius 1

Reputations:

especially when the pricing competes with better units from MSi or AW

9. collegekid28

Reputations:
    Because I paid for a laptop in 2012 and through warranties (the original & $99 extension) I have went from 650M, 850M (same gpu really), and Now 1070. All for a price I paid in 2012. As I said before I am hard on my laptops and they always replace them no questions asked. Yes I can buy from a different maker but I am hard on my laptops since I travel with them a lot. Sometimes it's my fault others they just fail. This is the first time I have had a true heat issue. I used the Heaven Benchmark to test the gpu. But all the games I played on it the gpu boosted fine also before I sent it back.

TomJGX and karasahin like this.
  10. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Yup so don't do that lol.. I think some good thermal paste like ICD or Kryonaut will do fine!

You lucky sod! :)