OMEN 1070 Laptop 100C

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by collegekid28, Feb 17, 2017.

1. collegekid28

collegekid28 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,

Just got this laptop and when I run some games at full 4k maxed settings the cpu gets to 98C and GPU 82C. It's probably about a week old. This laptop is fairly new so it's hard finding heat samples on it. Anyone know if these temps are safe? I get no slowdowns and I do have it on a cooler.

2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    98*C is definitely not good. I'd look into the issue

3. KING19

KING19 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If i was you i would just send it back since you're within the 30 days return period because no new laptop should reach temps like that. I dont know if its the cheap design of the OMENs causing it or not but with those temps on the CPU you're very close at the shutdown range.

don_svetlio likes this.
  4. collegekid28

Reputations:
    It's a replacement for my old broken laptop lol. I just ran heaven benchmark and it got up to 86C CPU & 76 on the GPU. That was off the cooler. Wanted to see if the cooler might have been doing anything. Replace or fix they're on the hook for it.

Also the GPU overclocked itself to 1911... Which seems pretty high for a notebook.

5. sponge_gto

sponge_gto Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    GPU clocks sound good. High 70s in temps is not entirely unacceptable for the performance. On the other hand, Pascal cards can maintain stock clocks at insanely low voltages, if you check out the voltage-frequency curve in Afterburner (ctrl+F, not sure if working on mobile cards). If you're willing to give up the 5-10% of performance from boost, you can manually lower the power or temperature target to keep the temperatures where you're comfortable with. (Again, not sure if working on mobile -_-)

Badhand386 likes this.
  6. collegekid28

Reputations:
    That cpu temp is what seems to be the problem...

7. karasahin

karasahin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You can try fixing maximum clock of i7 6700HQ at 3.0 GHz through Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and see if it helps. Intel CPUs are known to run hot. I would have suggested disabling the turbo boost feature of i7 6700HQ by limiting maximum processor state down to %99 but it may cause bottleneck. I am not sure though. Since you said you play at full 4k max settings the GPU is the most responsible on workload. You can try both and see if temps become okay and cause bottleneck or not.

8. Midas Touch

Midas Touch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If I were you I'd do a repaste, and a little bit of undervolting.

9. sasuke256

sasuke256 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    repaste with grizzly + undervolt a little the cpu -75mV or -100mV will make temps okey..
    it's a thin laptop with a 100W class GPU :) that was expectable :)

10. SkidrowSKT

SkidrowSKT Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The Omen's cooling capability leaves things to be desired. This is why I wouldn't even dare get one. The MSI GT62 and GT73 do the cooling a lot more efficiently.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk