Oldskool toothpaste to Liquid Metal + MSI MS-1762 tray mod

Discussion in 'Notebook Cosmetic Modifications and Custom Builds' started by jaug1337, Feb 8, 2017.

1. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    Similar as in after my Cond. repaste?

I JUST repasted again, and put up some electrical tape around the dies and aluminium heatsinks to avoid spillage issues.

I'd just like to say that if I CAN DO IT, anyone can, I am the clumsiest IT man alive.

I will provide a new set of pictures later today :)

Papusan likes this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    My Temps are similar to MX2 repaste. On idle it stays between 28C and 34C, on lite load 38-55C and on high load 78-85C and sometimes 90C( just a peak for some millisecond).

3. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    I would definitely recommend a repaste... I mean hardware really can be durable, but for me, I want to have it last as long as possible with the highest OV/OV possible to maximize my investment!

Still can't edit the OP... so I'll post here.

Sorry for potato quality pictures, I guess my camera forgot it had autofocus.

Oh and sorry @Papusan my OCD got to me and I had to fill the whole copper heatsink with TIM once again, couldn't let that little sh**ty rectangle lie all alone :( is this better @iunlock ? not god-tier level like yours, but I hope its alright :D

[​IMG]
    I mean it does the job... so I can't complain
    [​IMG]

Now for the opening ceremony
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The fingerprint of the CPU is clearly visible
    [​IMG]
    Yes yes I know... too much used the 1st time
    [​IMG]
    Now 2nd time around.... I used too much again, singnificantly less than the 1st time, but good lord I can't seem to squeeze out a pin sized amount, my fingers are too damn fat! at least I taped it this time around
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm even bad at placing the tape evenly, oh god why am I this useless
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The new temps are off the charts. Apparently less is more.

I will try to post new benchmark temps for the MSI and some for the Clevo ASAP :) thanks for reading folks

Papusan likes this.
  4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    @jaug1337: I already repasted. Stock Dell paste was idling at 50-60C and on medium loads @70-94C.

jaug1337 likes this.
  5. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    Just made an additional modification.

Figured out that the fans too close to each other start to vibrate and shake each other, so shifting them a small bit made them practically silent. (and probably placebo effect: COOLER :D)

To futher clean up all of the clutter on my desk, I made a small shelf for my monitor thus removing the legs on it. The shelf is a regular white one, with a perfect depth and width. If anyone noticed.. it is held up by two Chromecast boxes :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    Papusan and alexhawker like this.