Older Cars -- Junk them or keep them? Post Here.

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by TravisBean, Feb 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lunateck

lunateck Bananaed

Reputations:
    First of all, what do you know about pollution?

FYI, pollution created by cars are NOx, Particulate Matters, Carbon Monocide, etc. And BTW, Carbon Dioxide are not POLLUTANTS. To go more details into it, NOx is the main cause of acid rain and smog, Particulate Matters -> Cancer. Even with the most modern filtering system, cars are still producing them, BUT the catch is, new cars produce 70% to 99% less pollutants than the a 10 years old car. And yea, you can start smoking, I don't care about that, but I do care about someone giving wrong infos.

Edit:
    Maybe you have love for old cars, or cars that still runs. But for people that have no preference, I still think a new car would be the better choice.

Edit 2:
    Do you get any money for junking it? If not, sell it. (You get €2000 for junking cars that are 9 years and above here :))

2. TravisBean

TravisBean Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @ lunatecK-- "You get €2000 for junking cars that are 9 years and above here ----??" What? If they offered that deal here in the states I'd be very tempted to be at the junk yard at 11:00 AM and at Bob Tyler Toyota at noon.

3. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    Over on this side of the pond they only care about the emmisions to get more money out of you. Like the new 6.7L cummins, with all the NOx filters, and particulate filters and all that on then you get about 14mpg. Take that stuff off and you get like 19mpg. To me it doesn't make any sense to burn more fuel yet have it more efficient.

4. lunateck

lunateck Bananaed

Reputations:
    I wonder why people buy 6.7 Litres car. =.=? The Audi's and VW's (2L Diesels) can run average 5L/100km, or 47MPG. I have no idea how much it would save without the filters and such. But a 6.7L car is just plain "consumer" engineering idiocy. Those engine should be on Big Trucks, like Actros, not on cars or pickups.

Yea, the 2000€ offer is only in Germany. But it's making new car more affordable.

5. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    lol, because you can get so much power, and twice the torque out of it. Its a great motor. And its hard to get diesel cars over here, the americans aren't smart enough to like them.

6. Mimino

Mimino Notebook Communist

Reputations:
    because they can? :) i also do not see a point in having such a gas-guzzler. My dad has a LandRover Disco with V6 2.7 diesel and I found it powerful enough to drive and have fun. Same model in the U.S. has 4.4L and a V8...go figure.

7. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    This one guzzles diesel. :D

8. Mimino

Mimino Notebook Communist

Reputations:
    lol that's even worse. diesel is more expensive than gas is right now (first time i see such a thing).

9. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    Yeah, ever since they switched it to ULSD(Ultra low sulfer diesel) then its been more expensive, and its also worse fuel, doesn't act like oil as much as it used to.

10. K-TRON

K-TRON Hi, I'm Jimmy Diesel ^_^

Reputations:
    Diesel is a cheaper fuel than gasoline, or at least it should be. It takes less than a third of the time and energy to refine diesel as it does gasoline. If you have ever seen both fuels side by side, diesel is like molasses very thick, while gasoline is very thin and clean. Diesel falls out of the refining process early, but since the backbone of the US is powered by Diesel (trucks, trains, planes and so forth) it is much more expensive than gasoline. Its because their is a larger demand for it.

Diesel engines are more efficient but the big problem with them is soot. People think that diesel engines output more toxins cause their emissions are black smoke rather than clear smoke. With that causes exhaust treatment, which robs a lot of power from the engine.

Here is a chart to show you:
    [​IMG]

K-TRON

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.