Older Cars -- Junk them or keep them? Post Here.

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by TravisBean, Feb 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TravisBean

TravisBean Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I drive a 1992 Ford Crown Victoria. I can afford a new car, but this car still drives so well, that I don't see the point in getting rid of it. A newer car would get better gas mileage, but after doing the math, it appears that I would have to drive very long distances (which I don't) in order for any gas savings to offset a $300 a month car payment. Post your opinions here about what should be done with your older cars and what your plans are.

2. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I have a 1992 Saturn SL1. I can't afford ANY car at this point (broke college student here) so I'm going to make this one last a looonnnng time like 5-6 years longer. :p I do feel a bit unsafe in it though, due to all of the SUV's and stuff (even modern compact cars like the Yaris sit higher off of the ground/are taller than my car, and SUV grills are easily up near my face height :p) so if I had the money would try to get something newer, with more modern safety tech like side airbags

3. K-TRON

K-TRON Hi, I'm Jimmy Diesel ^_^

Reputations:
    1974 Peterbilt. It will run forever, but I will be getting rid of it soon to fund a diesel powered pickup which I want to build. Alot of the older vehicles were really built to last long. Older vehicles may look all beaten up today but they were made out of heavier metals, and had better chassis than anything today.
    I firmly feel that this whole crumple zone thing is an excuse for car manufacturers to cut quality control on the actual designing of the chassis.

K-TRON

4. nizzy1115

nizzy1115 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Just do the math and do what is cheaper. I know my coworker was able to sell her dodge durango for pennies, buy a new 23k vw jetta pump up her insurance coverage and still SAVE 300-400 bucks a month due to gas prices! If that is your case then go for it.

5. vinceboiii

vinceboiii Animals are friends, not food.

Reputations:
    dude i drive a 89 toyota supra turbo. talk about a gas eater..

6. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    Yeah, but its got a turbo, so it doesn't matter. :D The old 92 dodge cummins 5.9L 12V turbo diesel is still sitting in the drive way, with over 350k miles it still runs strong and I don't see why it should go any where.

7. narsnail

narsnail Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I hear ya, 98 SVT Contour here, I can literally watch the gas meter move if I floor it for long enough, although im thinking yours is still worse then mine for gas. Premium?

8. Diablo

Diablo Metalhead

Reputations:
    *eyes the wookie, tossing a bowcaster the other direction to distract him and proceeds to steal his car*

contours are nice little cars. were you ever on the fordcontour.org or contour.org forums?

9. narsnail

narsnail Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    lol nope, just registered though :) aha

10. Harper2.0

Harper2.0 Back from the dead?

Reputations:
    Crown Vic >>> most new cars. The crown vic is way more fun to drive than a lot of the newer cars. The only reason to get rid of the 92 is to get a newer model cop car :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.