(old) laptop for business use

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by amazing-boy, Jul 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amazing-boy

amazing-boy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi, I need a business notebook very portable and with an average battery life.

Considering only 12"/13" sized products which are the most interesting models of 2013/2014, (due a limited budget I'll bring a used/refurbished product) ?

Thanks.

Regards, Stefano.

2. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

Reputations:
  3. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Not only does he need to fill out the form, but Apple MacBook Pro is also not a business model either. That machine is a consumer machine. How about a suggestion however, a Lenovo ThinkPad X230 12" is a good business class machine in that genre to name one.

Starlight5 and amazing-boy like this.
  4. OverTallman

OverTallman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    One small thing though, many of the X230 was from 2012. For 2013/2014 models he'd be looking for the late IVB or Haswell/Broadwell machines.

These are pretty much what I can think of that can fill his requirements:

Haswell/Broadwell:
    • Dell Latitude E7240
    • Dell Latitude E7250
    • Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 2013/2014
    • Lenovo ThinkPad X240
    • HP EliteBook 820 G1
    • HP EliteBook Folio 1020
    • HP ProBook 430 G1

IVB: (some are from 2012)
    • Dell Latitude E6230
    • Dell Latitude E6330
    • Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 2012
    • Lenovo ThinkPad X230
    • HP EliteBook 2570p
    • HP ProBook 4340s/4341s
    Kaveri: (non-Intel)
    • HP EliteBook 725 G2

Highlighted are the most interesting candidates IMO, reasons below:
    • The X1 Carbon and the Folio are the thinnest, but also the most expensive, also note that the Folio uses Core M CPU
    • 2570p and 4340s/4341s have socketed CPUs, which means easy upgrade to quad core i7
    • 725 G2 is the only one with AMD APU, with slightly better integrated graphics power

amazing-boy likes this.
  5. amazing-boy

Reputations:
    To that really interesting list would You add also a budget but recent Lenovo M30-70 ?

For now I've the chance to buy a 2570p in optimal conditions, with a new battery, for 200 euro, selling my x220 for a little more.

I've some esitations for what concern the screen quality (viewing angles and contrast).

Available alternatives are 6230, 6330, 6430 of Dell, 840 g2 of HP and X230 of Lenovo (in a range from 200 to 300 euro).

Other options are unfortunately too expensive for limited budget.

Regards, stefano.

Sent with black Moto E2 2015

6. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    X240 is a nice option. And so is the EliteBook 2570p, both are solid reliable laptops. And the X1 Carbon is good also. I'd go with Intel CPU over AMD. The HP ProBooks are decent for cheaper machines but budget business class. But not as well built as the EliteBooks durability wise. The Dell Latitude options are also very good. You have some nice options.

amazing-boy likes this.
  7. amazing-boy

Reputations:
    Lenovo M30-70 (two months of life) could be a step backward under all point of view or can be considered as a viable alternative ?

I'm really attracted from 2570P for the budget cost and the fact the battery is completely new.
    I like the standard Hp keyboards (but this one is chicklet...) that I prefer to the lenovo :oops: but I've some exitations for what concerns the display quality that could be inferior to X220 (NO ips model).

The exact model is this one, but equipped with 8 gb of ram and 120 Gb SSD instead of 500 Gb hd.
    o_O

Regards, Stefano.

8. Krowe

Krowe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Please fill out the form man, we're shooting half blind here...

Starlight5 likes this.
  9. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

Reputations:
    @amazing-boy if you truely want high-contrast screen with decent angles, forget about 2570p, M30-70 and most of what is suggested here - screens are ugly TN mess; go IPS instead. Since you didn't fill the form, at least tell us what you don't like in X220, the machine of choice for many ppl here despite its age, available with IPS screens.

10. amazing-boy

Reputations:
    My x220 was the NO ips model.
    I'd like to have an HP style keyboard that I prefer over the lenovo one, remembering my old 6510B...

Moreover I've the opp. to bring a little more recent notebook, with comparable hw, but with a completely new battery, while in my case the battery life goes not over 1 hour and half.

Sent with black Moto E2 2015

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.