Old busty laptop for video editing

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Eijgner mil, Jul 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eijgner mil

Eijgner mil Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys I just finished filming my short film. My powerful PC broke down and I had to get a repair man. Bcuz of deadlines I am forced to use my 7 year old Compaq Presario cq40 for the post production. Just a rough cut, but for the damn low specs will it work? Or should I call a friend for help?
    Specs -1gb ram, windows vista32 bit, AMD turion x2 64bit (1.6ghz), ATI radeon graphics.
    Will upgrading the ram help? Or should I save the 30 bucks and borrow a wealthy friends computer?
    Desperately need replies, fast. I really want to salvage this short film..

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  2. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Upgrading RAM will sort of help with general responsiveness but that's not nearly enough to make any difference in terms of video editing. So if you can, get a help from a friend - this machine is not suited for video editing and will not be whatever you do.

Eijgner mil, Starlight5 and Kent T like this.
  3. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    That 8 to 12 times weaker CPU (vs. anything remotely current), Vista x86 O/S (limited to 4GB RAM and arguably the most sluggish O/S of all time) and more than likely HDD based storage subsystem all scream 'do not attempt'.

Don't bother trying to do this on the ancient Compaq if you're on a deadline. Borrow a (much) more current platform based system to do this on.

Good luck.

Kent T and Starlight5 like this.
  4. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Literally any public library computer will do what you need 10 times faster than that laptop. I would cry trying to do anything on it in 2016.

Eijgner mil and tilleroftheearth like this.
  5. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

Reputations:
    @Eijgner mil call a friend and borrow some powerful machine.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  6. OverTallman

OverTallman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If it had 2-4GB RAM and a leaner OS (say, Windows 7), I'd definitely try it, hey at least it has ATi Mobility Radeon HD 3450 and not some Intel GMA nonsense, that way you wouldn't have to mess up other's computer. (I prefer using my own stuff if possible so don't judge me)

But 1GB RAM and Vista... you're asking for too much, and that's from someone who use a 10 year old ultraportable almost daily.

May as well upgrade the RAM and sell it, there are always people who want a cheap worker.

7. Eijgner mil

Eijgner mil Newbie

Reputations:
    The short film is filmed in 720p in order to achieve the rough, organic, grainy feel, but it still becomes choppy when playback..anyways thanks for the replies guys and I already know who should I find to get the job done. :)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  8. Eijgner mil

Eijgner mil Newbie

Reputations:
    Unfortunately this is still my secondary PC since I can't afford a new laptop :'(

9. OverTallman

OverTallman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    And you can't install your softwares on public computers!

If you insist on keeping it, here are some possible upgrades: (as stated in the maintenance guide)

RAM:
    • 1GB -> 2GB (2 x 1GB DDR2, PC2-6400 preferred)
    • 1GB -> 4GB (2 x 2GB DDR2, PC2-6400 preferred)

CPU:
    • Turion Ultra ZM-86 (2.4-GHz, 2x1-MB L2 cache)
    • Turion Ultra ZM-84 (2.3-GHz, 2x1-MB L2 cache) (not listed but should work)
    • Turion Ultra ZM-82 (2.2-GHz, 2x1-MB L2 cache)
    • Turion Ultra ZM-80 (2.1-GHz, 2x1-MB L2 cache)
    At the very least, upgrade the RAM and ditch Vista, install Windows 7 (upgrade to Win 10 if you want).

Edit: Forget about CPU upgrade now, it seems earlier CQ40 uses S1g1 sockets so I'll need to know the full product code first.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  10. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    OverTallman,

I would agree on upgrading the RAM (usually), but this platform is just too old.

See:
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=490&cmp[]=458&cmp[]=494

While it will be a whopping ~33% to ~68% faster with the range of CPU's you suggest, it is still well below even modern 'netbook' levels of performance.

Even with 4GB RAM and an SSD powered by Win10Pro, this platform is not worth upgrading, imo, even for just browsing the 'net. (Why? Because it could browse the 'net just fine as-is).

I would just use it as long as it lasts. And in the meantime, save for a (much) newer platform secondary computer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.