Okay so seriously need some input

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Tsunade_Hime, Sep 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Okay so today, my 240SX is no more. Some lady cut off a big E-350 Airport Shuttle van, and he slammed the brakes and I unfortunately was not so lucky, and his bumper met a new friend. I got ~1800 to play with very shortly, so I was looking to get a new car;

Some contenders;

'91+ 240SX coupe (hatchback 240's must die)

EG6 Honda Civic Hatchback though preferably EK9 (newer generation Civic hatchback)

Miata

Audi A4

Toyota Celica

Acura Integra or CL

Only requirements are stick and somewhat decent fuel economy? Anything I am missing?

2. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'd go for the Civic but what do I know?

3. PatchySan

PatchySan Om Noms Kit Kat

Reputations:
    Given that you had a bump, insurance is going to be quite prohibitive, so the Audi A4, Miata, Integra and others look likely to be out. As a cheap reliable run about the Civic is a safe choice, parts should be cheap and should be economical. I dunno have you considered some American cars like the Ford Focus for example unless you must insist on JDM cars?

4. visiom88

visiom88 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Get a Miata and drive it until you hit mid-age.

5. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    I'm not sure it's gonna be that much more expensive, when my 1st accident got removed my insurance dropped maybe 12 dollars. I think the lady who cut off the van might be paying for everything, but meh. Excluding insurance which for all those cars is about the same ~90-100 USD a month. I will not buy a Focus, unless it's a new one and that isn't in my price range.

The Civic I am totally down for, except all the ones here for my price range are all messed up, been riced out or are sold pretty quickly on Craigslist. Ideally there was a 98 EK9 LX hatch for ~1400 that was stick, but that literally was gone same day on Craigslist. My biggest fear of getting a Miata or Honda Civic Del Sol (Targa) is they all leak, unless I opt for the hard top which costs as much as a Miata.

6. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    If you have another 35k to go with the 1800, then get the A4. Seriously, how much do you wish to spend? You like style as well so it's a tuffy.

7. Micaiah

Micaiah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    LOL there's no way I would go with the A4 unless it's 2007+ or newer. The late '90s models were maintenance nightmares.

My suggestions:

- '93 to '96 Ford Probe/Mazda MX-6 (KLZE engine swap, easy/cheap to get, 2.5L V6 with 200 HP)
    - '95 to '01 Mitsubishi Mirage (Great sleeper with 4G63 swap)
    - '87 to '91 Dodge Daytona (Not everyone's taste, but I love the styling on these cars)
    - '91 to '94 Nissan Sentra SE-R (Very plain looking but has a non-turbo SR20DE. Weighs 2200 pounds and makes a nasty FWD sleeper)

8. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    1800 would be tops, are the V6 A4 that bad? I know the 1.8T are horrid, the K03 turbo's America got all fail pretty quickly. I was also looking at older Impreza's, but hardly any of them are stick, and I would love to have 2.5RS model..

9. 2.0

2.0 Former NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    First, glad you're alright. Tough bit of luck, that.

I'd think seriously about the Integra. Lots of fun mods you can do with that.

10. Micaiah

Micaiah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Engine issues due to timing belt prematurely wearing were big issues for those 2.8L's. If you're lucky, you only need to worry about towing and a $90 belt if you do the replacement yourself. For the not so lucky ones, it's about $4200-$5000 in parts/labor for new valves. I refuse to touch anything Audi/Volkswagen pre-2003.

Then again, I am not a huge fan of European cars in general due to their outrageous part/maintenance costs, but I do like Volvo.