Okay so I need some kind of direction

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Tsunade_Hime, Aug 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    So Geico decided to total my Integra. I'm gonna buy it back and get ~600 dollars back. I'm gonna be looking for a car soon to replace it, I'd probably have 1200-1500 to spend.

Honestly all I am looking in a vehicle is it being 4 door, decent space and it having standard safety features. I don't care if it's FWD and automatic.

I was looking at:

Infiniti I30
    Nissan Maxima
    Acura TL
    Acura Legend
    Honda Accord

2. Qing Dao

Qing Dao LORD OF THE UNDERWORLD

Reputations:
    Sounds like you have it all figured out. I guess go search your area for all old cheap Japanese cars with 4 doors?

3. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    Well I had looked at some really old BMW's...just don't know the reliability. I'm just wondering if there is anything to look out for, I know 90's Honda's, window motors go kaput, radiators blow, etc.

4. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Nissan or Acura. A good certified pre-owned ones of thems will last you for years to come.

5. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Nissan Cefiro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "Also called: Nissan Maxima, Infiniti I30"
    Depending on model year, those two cars could be one and same with slightly different detailing :)

And for the actual question: don't care much about make/model of the car at that price range. Go see a few and take the one in best overall condition. Besides while looking you might run into something totally different that's cheap and in exceptionally good condition :p

6. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    all good, reliable choices except the 3.2 TL.

the 99-03 TL's were great all around cars except for 1 major red flag. they had crappy transmissions that liked to go out whenever it feels like it. it was due to a bad clutch pack design and i don't think there was ever a resolution for it. i've personally owned one of these models, and also had many family members that have had one. again, great cars but the faulty transmission really effects the car's overall "rating".

luckily, my TL's transmission went out after i sold my car. it was a completely different story for a few of my family members. one of their TL's had to have 3-4 tranny replacements.

7. Qing Dao

Qing Dao LORD OF THE UNDERWORLD

Reputations:
    A possible max budget of $1200 for a new car is definitely scraping the bottom of the barrel. Hopefully you have $1500 available. You will really need to open yourself up to more potential cars. Does it have to have 4 doors? The interior space is the same for cars that come in 2 or 4 door models, so that doubles the amount of potential cars in your area.

If you want a really old BMW, buy one for hundreds of dollars, and spend some money to fix a thing here or there. You are handy with a wrench, right? I used to be really into BMW's and knew a lot of other guys who owned older ones in my area. There are often some super deals on them.

I know American cars get a bad rap, but there are some good ones out there. The Dodge Neon comes to mind. Actually, that is probably the only one. It is well designed, super cheap to repair, and very reliable. I consider it the best car ever designed by Chrysler. They never poured so much money and resources into the R&D and manufacture of a car before, and they did everything top notch. It was a huge success, but then Chrysler became crap again after Daimler took over.

I would stay away from Korean cars in that price range. I'm sure that Hyundai and Kia are higher quality than they used to be, but any Hyundai, Kia, or Daewoo you are going to find for under $1500 are going to be a lot lower quality.

8. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    Yeah I kinda didn't put any Korean cars on the list, the new ones are really nice but the older ones are crud.

I was looking at the older 96-98 TL. My friend's 02 TL Type-S went kaput 3 years ago, the Acura dealership even handed him bits of his transmission in a Ziploc bag to him.

9. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    what are u buying the Integra back for? couldn't u put that money towards another car?

10. MAA83

MAA83 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Old BMW's are a pain in the butt to wrench on yourself. Odd socket sizes, retarded parts placement, inaccessible crap, and expensive/hard to find parts for the very old ones.

I'm only used to working on jap cars though but I've done a lot of work on my siblings' 99 M3 and '10 328i hard top convertible. They're not impossible to work on, but when you get to doing the more invasive procedures, there are an infinite number of times when I thought to myself "why the hell would you do it that way" or "who uses this retarded socket size/shape" etc etc.

For 1500 I would say your best bet is an old accord, an LX or DX 5spd and as long as it was maintained properly it should be good to you. A legend will have more electronic accessories that will probably either break soon or will break. What houstoned said about the TL's - unless you like junkyard diving for a trans, stay away. Maxima's I have sentimental reasons for why I hate, and the I30, same reason as the legend, it'll have lots of electronics options that will eventually break. I'm assuming this car will be high mileage since you only have 1500 to work with.

My opinion.

EDIT: Why not find another teg? You'll already have a parts car then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.