Official X500 Owner's Lounge!

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Red_Dragon, Oct 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ss604

Ss604 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone.

I picked up a used X-500 about a month ago as a desktop replacement. I love the unit but it overheats when playing games or even youtube hd.

World of Warcraft , Diablo 3, wolfenstein new order....all got the temps up to 100 degrees c.

So...I was keen to find a solution. I found a few x500 dissection guides and went to work.

Took the unit apart...and went nuts with a can of compressed air. The vents in the back were almost completely blocked by dust from the inside.

See pix.

After blowing with the air and using a qtip to clean further....I reassembled the unit.

I wanted to reapply some paste on the CPU but didn't feel confident in taking out the system board.

Anyways....temps have significantly lowered and gameplay does not exceed 65-70 degrees C.

A Windows experience run did get some of the cores up to 92 degrees C but I'm content for now as the laptop does not get so burning hot when playing games.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jack53 and Andanzas like this.
  2. a4500435

a4500435 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    A tip for avoiding that kind of dust buildup, should work for all laptops:

Take a used dryer sheet, cut part of it and tape it against the air vent. Voila, perfect makeshift dust filter. By the time it needs changing, you should have another sheet ready.

My X505-Q893 is still chugging along, no problems. I suspect I may have to change the HDD next year or so, it's still fine. I did get a Blu-ray drive and it works fine. Only actual repair I've done was the CPU fan, the original one was quite noisy, the new one's been working fine.

I saw the new X70s...not bad. I personally miss the old 18.4" size, but it's a damn sight better than the X770s...

3. MadMage

MadMage Newbie

Reputations:
    Greetings.

I have been struggling with my Qosmio X505-Q882 for nearly 2 years now; I'd had it for some time when I decided to do some cleanup and reformatted the hard drive. After doing so, I was unable to run most games without the computer shutting down - just a clean reset with a 'beep' noise as if I'd held the power button down - no BSOD and the computer doesn't even create an error log. The only way to prevent this is to run without the power plugged in and play on battery (which doesn't last long enough for this to be viable); as soon as the cord is plugged back in, the system goes down.

I've posted on many forums (even here once I believe) and have failed to even get a response from many of them. I've done extensive testing to check for overheating, driver issues, bad RAM... I've exhausted literally option except straight up replacing parts - though I did replace a fan and the AC brick. Overheating seems to be the go-to suggestion, but I cannot stress enough that this is NOT the issue. I have tested it too thoroughly and games that WILL run have pushed the temps up to 100C without the system crashing, while I have replicated crashes while the computer was literally sitting outside in -20F weather and did not even approach 30C. I am certain that the issue is software related, and that reformatting removed something that was regulating voltage.

What I'd like to try is underclocking or undervolting the machine, but the machine's BIOS has almost no options beyond selecting boot options and it seems most of the 'usual suspects' won't allow me to modify the GPU or RAM clocks at all.

Any help whatsoever would be appreciated. I'd like to find a way to force the voltage down, as something about running on only battery appears to be the trick here, but I can't for the life of me find a tool that will allow me to change these settings. The machine is long out of warranty and servicing it in a shop is out of the question; simply put, this thing is not getting any more money - and neither is Toshiba after the poor customer service I received during this one's life.

4. imglidinhere

imglidinhere Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Perhaps try the machine without the battery installed and the AC brick in? It might be a faulty battery.

If that's not the case, then flash the BIOS and give that a go. I remember having a similar issue at some point and it's kinda frustrating.

How long has this issue been going on for?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.