Official X500 Owner's Lounge!

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Red_Dragon, Oct 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Compusmurf

Compusmurf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Probably because 8GB sodimms didn't exist when the earlier models came out. Therefore they had nothing to test with. Best upgrade ever for me.

2. poohkies

poohkies Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    wondering if anyone can help,

mates got a x500 and the main laptop screen doesn't work, if he plugs in the hdmi it then works on the tv, but not on his laptop screen, any idea's

3. alexUW

alexUW Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Since your friend gets an image when he connects his laptop to an external source [TV, external monitor, etc...], then that means his motherboard/graphics-unit is ok. The problem must then be localized to the screen itself.

You can try holding a flashlight to the screen, or getting very close to the screen while it is turned on to check whether you are in fact getting an image. If there is a faint image, then I believe replacing the screen inverter should fix it.

It may find the part here: Laptop Parts & Repair - SparePartsWarehouse.com

If there is no image what so ever, he may try checking the connection where the screen connects to the motherboard.

good luck

4. SEVEN-UP

SEVEN-UP Newbie

Reputations:
    long time no replay right? xDDDDD

generally.. i have problem with bios! please help :(

Downgrade Bios Of My X505-Q8102X - Toshiba Forums

5. alexUW

alexUW Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    ^^^^
    Will it let you run the installer for the 1.40 BIOS? I know owners of the x775 Qosmio were able to downgrade their BIOS.

If I may ask, why do you want to revert back to the 1.40 BIOS? I am curious as I still use the 1.40 BIOS [as opposed to the 1.90].

Oh, and Welcome Back! :thumbsup:

6. jack53

jack53 Samsung ATIV Book 6 Lover!

Reputations:
    I DO NOT like the new Win 8. I have it on my new Leveno Notebook. Too much clutter with all those apps. They're trying to turn notebooks into cell phones with the apps layout.

Just got a Qosmio X505-Q830 last week for $450 and updated with a new 128GB SSD with fresh Win7 install and increased the memory to 8GB.

Got the Windows Experince Index score of 6.7
    The weak link is the Graphic. How can I improve on that?
    Any particular settings or can the GPU be swapped out for a newer one?
    I'd also like to add a 500GB 7200rpm HD to replace the DVD unit with a caddy HD.
    Anyone here done any of this?

This awesome machine is flawless, nary a scratch or smudge anywhere on it.

NOTE: This notebook may be over 2 years old but still holds it's own with the newer notebooks.
    At Best Buy the other day I checked the Windows Experience Index on their 3 high end HP, Gateway & Samsung's $1,200+ machines and my 6.7 score was higher.
    It blows away all the new ones under $1000 too.

7. jack53

Reputations:
    Gone to either Heaven or Hell ;)

8. alexUW

alexUW Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The x505 can only use GPUs designed by Toshiba [it has a proprietary MXM slot]. Thus, that limits you to the GTS 250m ; GTS 360m ; GTX 460m that are either pulled from decommissioned x505 Qosmios, or that are ordered from Toshiba part suppliers [this can cause several hundreds of dollars, example: $300-$400]

However, there is the problem with the 830 only being 120W. Does this 120W problem only extend to the powersupply? or does it also affect the plugin for the motherboard?
    I point to this, as the x505s that have the GTS 360m and GTX 460m also have a 180W powersupply; considering the more powerful GPUs require this extra power.
    No one knows if a 120W Qosmio can use a 180W powersupply; as if you want to try, you'd be one of the first.

Thus, with the above points, I would say no to the upgradability of your GPU. Is it possible? Yes, but not probable.
    If I were you, I'd just save up and buy a $1000 gaming laptop in a year or two. I say this, as you can already get a x875 Qosmio for around $1100, which comes with a GTX 670m [much more powerful than any of the above mentioned x505 GPUs]. In a few years, a $1000 gaming laptop will be much more advanced.

However, glad to hear you like the 18.4" monster x505 Qosmio. I do agree they are very nice!!! :D

Good luck

9. jack53

Reputations:
    Hey Alex! I see your from Seattle and go to UW!
    I live in Tacoma and went to UW 1974-1978.

10. a4500435

a4500435 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm alive!

I think the forums aren't very active cause there's not really much to go wrong with the X505. Only problems I've ever had have been Nvidia driver issues that were usually fixed in a new version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.