Official X500 Owner's Lounge!

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Red_Dragon, Oct 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Hm, awesome an owner!

Congrats on this fine machine.

Two questions, what do you think about the screen quality and speaker quality.

2. twodice

twodice Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    played with this at j&r in nyc today, speakers were good, 50% sound volume filled my area and the keyboard will take some getting used to,

there was no fingerprint sensor, which was shown on some pics, the costco version of the x505-832 may have as the pics show it. the 830 model is on display at j&r

the screen looked great, not full hd but i reckon this version packs more value for money (X505-830) ill probably end up getting this one soon from costco as they carry 2 year warranty and ill chance it with the fingerprint sensor.

3. sgilmore62

sgilmore62 uber doomer

Reputations:
  4. Cobra03

Cobra03 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Take some pictures and make a review please.

5. Compusmurf

Compusmurf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have that patch installed already, yet still BSOD.

I'll try the compat mode, but changing the testing parameters isn't going to give valid results is it?

The screen is nice, the speakers are really nice.

The keyboard SUCKS. Flat and featureless, but it IS really a desktop replacement so "at home" use you would probably have a full size keyboard that you prefer.

I did a full review for laptopvideo2go.com. When the owner posts it, I'll copy the link. He already said he didn't mind me sharing. :)

6. sgilmore62

sgilmore62 uber doomer

Reputations:
    If you don't have the backlit keyboard then yaeh...it SUCKS, but you can upgrade to the backlit one whenever you get ready--the BIOS supports it and they are available from the aftermarket suppliers. I like the flatter keys on the new Toshiba keyboards and if you like the higher profile glossier keyboard you can get that too for like $30 but it's not backlit.

The only thing I don't like about the new keyboards is the carryover from previous models of the small arrow keys--as many reviewers that knocked the small arrow keys you would think they would have changed that but it would have killed the Toshiba keyboard interchangeability.

7. Compusmurf

Compusmurf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mine's backlit, but I still don't like the flat keys. I don't care tho, I use a Logitech DiNovo BT keyboard for daily work. To me, it's my desktop computer. Have to have a laptop because of my job and because of where I PUT and USE my computer. Otherwise, I would get a desktop, but this is a darn good alternative to the desktop I can't have. :) Hopefully in the next year, RAM prices come down a bit. I'd like to replace the 2Gb SODIMM with a 4Gb one to match and get the full 8Gb. It'd be helpful with VMWare. Oh, VMWare wkstn 7 is out and works great on here.

8. freedom16

freedom16 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I just got the studio xps 1340 and the keyboard is very similar to the newer toshiba's. I enjoy this keyboard, when i was at j and r it had the same feeling. Cmon man do a better review than the one on laptopvideo2go.com, if you don't know how to do one then read some of the reviews by the administrators and ask us. I want to know about the processor when it comes to converting hd files 720p and 1080p how long does it take?

9. heavenly_wild

heavenly_wild Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey guys I am in Australia and I see an ad for the X500. It says it is preloaded with 32-bit Windows 7 - THAT IS INSANE for a gaming machine - and the 64-bit Windows 7 is "embedded in the partition". What does this mean?

Can someone confirm the video card memory uses GDDR5?

10. freedom16

freedom16 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The video card memory means it is a higher jump from gddr3, if not most of the graphics card today are gddr3. Gddr5 is like 100 percent performance jump, especially when you overclock the card. Here are some links, http://www.qimonda.com/graphics-ram/gddr5/index.html, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GDDR5.
    One of the reasons why i want this machine is because of the new gdrr5 card out but i would like to see it be sli, so i might wait, but i can't wait to have a core i7 right now but i am in school and not worrying about this right now as before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.