"Official" x460DX Owners Thread

Discussion in 'MSI' started by mstefanko, Sep 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xMAR99

xMAR99 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Removing the backplate to swap the drives does NOT void your warranty as confirmed by many resellers. :)

2. Xerloq

Xerloq Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No, it shouldn't void your warranty. You can drop a quick note to MSI here to ask: Pre-Sale Question before you buy

I did so I'd have something in writing if I ever need service.

3. bloodyredd

bloodyredd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys, I just want to ask what are the things that I should do after getting this laptop? The only thin I know so far is that I need to change the thermal paste to reduce temps. How about the screen and such?

4. jetfighter

jetfighter Newbie

Reputations:
    So, I bought one X460DX for me. But in my model I have the ***** Warranty sticker (I am from Czech republic and I have 2 years warranty). Here is a picture. Is there a screw under the sticker needed to change HDD ? If yes, is there any way how "evade" this sticker ? When I completely remove it, is this a solution ? When some of you said, you have no sticker on it, I can say the same in service, or has MSI any list with models with and without stickers ?
    This sticker is totally bad. When I want just clean ventilator or cooler or so, I can't do it.
    I have SSD at home and I want replace it. Thanks for answers.

Attached Files:

5. wumpus243

wumpus243 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I can't tell if the X460DX's HDMI out is 1.4 (for 3D) or does that matter? I don't know much about PC 3D, but I'm considering an external passive 3D IPS monitor, and if this notebook isn't even capable, then that makes my decision all that much simpler (and I can save $100 too!).

(I did a quick search on this, but maybe I missed a post - if so, my bad, and sorry for missing the existing info!)

Thx!

6. PopeJamal

PopeJamal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, there is a screw under that sticker. Everything I have heard says that MSI has no problem with you removing that sticker. It's just a standard precaution. Supposedly, as long as you don't damage anything you should be fine.

Of course, I'm in the US, so it might be different. But you are probably OK I would think.

7. PopeJamal

PopeJamal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't know for sure, but I would be surprised if the 630m was able to output 3D content at 1080P at an acceptable speed. Who knows though. You could ry running a program like hwinfo or gpuz and see if it tells you the version number

8. jetfighter

jetfighter Newbie

Reputations:
    Thx for you suggestion. I will try contact MSI directly and hope they will have same positive opinion as you ;-) I must install SSD for full testing.

Notebook seems to be really good. I just hate that glossy display. I see lots of shadows on it, i see my hands and my face. I must find some anti-glare screen protector. Temperature is really low even in games ( I tested it 2 hours with World of Tanks). Speakers are more than good for me.

9. wumpus243

wumpus243 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks PopeJamal.

Not a problem running those, but what am I looking for (version number of what?). Is there any difference in hardware requirements to connect to a 3D display (other than sufficient horsepower)?

And sorry for the confusion: I wasn't going to even try pushing out active 3D, as I've only got the GT540M (which overclocks nicely, but would surely choke at 1080P @120Hz in anything with more eyecandy than Pong!), so I was looking at passive 3D, which is 'half' of full HD resolution (for left, and the other half of full HD resolution for the right, alternating like old analog TV's), so the end effect is that it's scarcely 'harder' on the GPU than full HD (which is hard enough). I'm thinking I might be able to pull that off. Plus the passive glasses are lighter, cheaper and less breakable (no batteries or electronics).

I spoke today to a sales kid at a retail store today, and he said most quality 1.3 HDMI cables also work for 3D, they're just not supported like 1.4. I don't know how much stock to put in that, but considering I know nothing about PC 3D, it's a huge leap forward! :)

So that leads me to think that I can probably use the NVidia driver with my GT540M, and a 'quality' 1.3 or standard 1.4 HDMI cable with the passive 3D Monitor, and it should work.(?) I really hope I'm not missing anything else.

Any tips from anyone that's used a 3D display before will go a very long way with me!

10. wittyusername

wittyusername Newbie

Reputations:
    I had to send mine in for repair a few months ago, and it came back with a big hole in the middle of that sticker where they'd stuck in a screwdriver to pull out the screw. So I'm assuming they don't have a problem with it. Otherwise they've just voided my warranty for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.