Official x300/x305 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Bartlett, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blade76

blade76 Newbie

Reputations:
    The thermal par makes contact with the heatsink but with poor results. And if I tried with a copper mod Cooper? You know the measures of 'mcp and distance with the heatsink? I have a copper pad that measures 15x15x1mm ... according to you okay? Alternatively I found a thermal pad modeling called t-flex can go well? 100MMx15MMx1MM Laird Technologies T-flex

2. kenny27

kenny27 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would just try out another pad on just in case the contact pressure is not enough (having said that your judgement is probably better then mine as its been a while since I have had one of these machines apart)
    Copper is risky as is has no give and I don't know the exact measurement between the mcp and heatsink. If you do try it use thermal paste on both sides of the copper to help the heat transfer and closely monitor all your temps.

The t-flex thermal pad has the same heat transfer rate as your current pad so there is no advantage of getting it over the phobya pads.

The only other helpful thing that I can think of is for you to contact Toshiba and see if they will sell you a genuine replacement pad.

Does anyone else have any ideas or input to help this guy out?

3. blade76

blade76 Newbie

Reputations:
    Meanwhile, thanks to your help kenny. I wanted to replace the thermal pad Phobya because I noticed that the thickness of 1.5 mm fathers is too much even if well pressed and not dissipate heat well. I was thinking Tflex because it is a pad modeling, similar to the original lost, and should fit well between the mcp and the sink. If someone has a x300 with the nvidia chipset please can you tell me with which pad has replaced the original one?

4. altreed

altreed Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

I am new to the forum :hi2: and have been trawling through it in the hope of finding a way that I can update my x300-13w with a more recent graphics driver. I can see that the various implementations of the x300/x305 laptops differ and not all drivers fit all devices. :confused:

I have tried various driver sets claimed for fix a variety of sins, but whenever I use any drive other than the Tosh one I do not detect the correct video device. :mad: I think I have the hybrid intel tri-SLi 9800m GTs and 9400m orgy. :D

Has there been any success in finding a modern driver set for this system? :(

Many thanks ;)

5. kenny27

kenny27 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nice you got the king of the x300 range, which has the 9800m GTS Sli and 9400m orgy (haha that made me laugh)

This is a partial quote of what Judgment posted a while back hopefully it answers your question

6. altreed

altreed Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks, I knew there would be something useful in there, but heavy reading from #1 :)

So basically I am screwed :/ I am on Bios 1.8 and have tried various drivers cited as worked with zero success. Oh well.

Thanks Toshiba. <.fail.>

7. judgment

judgment Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Try this: NVIDIA DRIVERS 280.26WHQL - 64 bit windows
    OR
    NVIDIA DRIVERS 280.26WHQL - 32 bit windows

Let us know if it works for u. For me its the final version of drivers working without bugs.
    If anyone knows how to update the sli profiles I would be grateful.

NOTE: just tried it myself and yes it does not work, I don't know why since it is the same version I have saved on my hdd. If anyone knows a free place I can upload the 280.26 drivers that work pm me.

8. IGW

IGW Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't know how much this will help, but I do remember having a similar issue a long time ago.
    After installing incompatible drivers, I was unable to roll back to the drivers I'd been successfully using previously.
    I was able to recover the situation by uninstalling all graphics drivers (and removing the driver files so Windows couldn't automatically reinstall them when I rebooted), then reinstalling a bunch of the toshiba crap from their website. THEN I could reinstall the correct drivers with the three GPUs correctly detected.
    My assumption was that something somewhere in the Toshiba bloatware was meant to be controlling the hybrid SLI side of things, but got overwritten/disabled when installing the incompatible drivers. I don't know enough about how the setup works, to know whether that assumption is at all plausible.
    Unfortunately it was a long time ago, so I can't remember what particular package needed to be installed, but hopefully this might give you somewhere to start at least.

9. judgment

judgment Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Okay so I was testing random drivers and found this: LaptopVideo2Go: Drivers - 32bit and LaptopVideo2Go: Drivers - 64bit . These drivers rock! I have gained 5-10fps in every single game. Even need for speed most wanted is now playable at 30-40fps (everything on medium). Just change the inf with the one on the website after extracting the drivers! Although a bit older they work miracles!

10. IGW

IGW Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Cheers Judgement, I'll try them out next week.
    Do they handle switching between the dual 9800s and the 9400 ok? And any crashes since you installed them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.