official "X205 Owner's Thread"

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Sonickid101, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonickid101

Sonickid101 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Post here if you own an X205 and your experiences with it.

I have the $2499 version X205-S9359 that i paid $2345 for.
    I like it the HD DVD drive does'nt work for reading anything lately but i'll chalk that up to a driver problem and if it persists i'll get on toshiba's butts and give them a good thrashing other. Performance is amazing i could use some faster HD's but i'm gunna sell the 2 it came with down the road and put in some SSD's when they drop in price and raise in capacity. Some design features the developers could have kept in mind. When allowing for 4 GB of RAM it should have shipped with Vista 64 especially with a 64 capable CPU. the ram should have been at 800 Mhz to match the CPU FSB. I figure i'll swap those out as well. and the HD's should be at least 7200 RPM in a choice of RAID 0. otherwise i'm very very happy with my lappy.

2. demon_of_razgriz

demon_of_razgriz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm actually getting the X200 (European version of X205) during September's next week. May I post in your thread?

3. Sentient_6

Sentient_6 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm very happy with mine, although to be honest when some people talk about their experiences with it I feel almost as if mine under-performs. Even being so, it still tears through anything I throw at it. Speakers are shockingly effective and I have no problem using them instead of outside speakers. Keyboard feels nice and responsive. Hard drive size is great for a laptop. I'd like more, but I store all of my music/movie media on an external, so the only thing that's really eating away my HD space is games. I havn't tried to watch any HD-DVDs yet, so I'm not sure how that will go.

Overall I've had good experiences with this laptop.

4. aarondr

aarondr Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As always, if anything, I'd say Hard Drive speed kills this lappy (5400 RPM sucks). Be nice if the hard drives were 7200RPM 8MB cache Raid 0... oh, one can dream, one can dream.

Still, a great laptop.

5. markheus

markheus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm very happy with mine as well. I got the 3959 - Just figured I'd go all out - though I'm not sure if its the best value for the money.

There have been some issues with the screen for some people... apparently one is made by LG and the other by Samsung... I've heard the LG isn't quite as good.

Gaming performance has been great - though I haven't played any brand new games... so far...

Guild Wars: Awesome - maxed out no problems
    SimCity 3000: Awesome - Maxed out
    Empire At War: Awesome - no problems
    Neverwinter Nights 2: -CLose to maxed out - no problems -

The real test will be when World In Conflict comes out. I'm pretty excited about that.

Like others, I think the hard drive is the bottleneck in this one. Toshiba just came out with a 320GB hard drive that I'll buy for data - and then a lower capacity 7200RPM hard drive for programs and games. I don't think SSD's are going to be very cheap anytime soon.

The only thing I really don't like is the keyboard. I much prefer my old ZD8k as far as response, feel, and regonomics. It felt more like a desktop keyboard. I also don't really like the location of the delete key, and kinda wish Ihad some ports on the back.

Other than those nitpicks, I must say I'm extremely happy. This thing runs very cool!! It kinda surprised me actually. I played GuildWars last night fr about three hours and I didn't even use a notebook cooler - nor have I yet - and the air coming out was never more than warm.

Question: Which of the preinstalled software did you guys keep? I deleted everything except the Toshiba software (flash cards, various other utilities) and MS Office.

6. Sonickid101

Sonickid101 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    First I guess X200 people can post here i did'nt know european's got a different version. If you'd like to note the differences that'd be cool too i'm rather interested.

The HD space is a non-issue since i have 3/4 of a terabyte on my desktop which has turned into more of a file server since i've got the laptop and that system has an 8800 GTS 640MB :p

I've run almost everything under the sun on my laptop to stress it out and bring it to its knees.

Bioshock maxxed out
    Oblivion almost maxxed out
    3D mark 06
    Quake 4 multithreaded enabled maxxed out
    Pretty much valves library including:
    Half life 2
    HL2 lost coast
    Counterstrike Source
    *interesting sidenote with the factory shipped drivers setting the AA in CS:S to 16x i could see through walls albeit with almost unplayable framerate around 13 fps it was neat but even with the unfair advantage of being able to see through walls having a playable framerate was much more important and allowed me to play much better so i leave this setting at around 8x
    Supreme commander is installed but will not run since i need the disk and my disk drive still is not working.
    Final fantasy XI was a pain in the ass I had to get vista specific version of Play Online and had to update the drivers yet again.
    I've run every single nvidia tech demo for 8000 series graphics cards even the Human head one which is meant to run on an 8800 Ultra and i was still amazed.
    These tech demo's included:
    Human head
    Adrianne Lite - Meant for 8600 cards
    Cascades Lite - same as above
    Froggy Lite -same
    Nvidia Smoke

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter - hey its on the sticker right on the thing not my kind of FPS but I just had to try it on here.

Interestingly all the demo's came with the regular versions which all ran albeit a little bit slower.

Heat is also a non-issue since it spills out the sides and not onto my thighs when i actually have it on my lap. It is only warm never hot which is still good because i can use it to keep me warm in the winter underneath a blanket or something :p

Also in the future maybe you guys could name any possible upgrades yall are planning.
    I was planning on upgrading to Vista Ultimate 64 bit edition around the same time i bought either 2 GB of 677 Mhz DDR2 ram or if I can swap out the origional ram buying 4 GB of 800 Mhz DDR2 ram to bring it up to the CPU's FSB of 800 Mhz i still don't know if the first 2 sticks are swapable i have'nt opened it up.
    I also plan on switching out the two 5400RPM HD's for either two 7200RPM in RAID0 or 2 SSD's money and total HD-spaces are non-issues i'll save my pennies and sacrifice a kidney for performance anyday.

The monitor has'nt given me any problems save for the ocasional fingerprint smudges that happen on both the back and front. Oh and never accidently sneez on the monitor it's a ***** to clean. The sticker is starting to peel on the front but I likes it and i'll try and keep that on as long as I can.
    Other than that the monitor looks beautiful. and the smudges are only visable when its on a black loading screen or something.

Edit: One last thing i've hooked this thing up to my 56" LCD DLP HDTV at 1080i resolution using the HDMI port and omg is it amazing. it does shave off a little bit on the sides and top and bottom.
    Edit: this issue seems to have disapeared using the new bioshock drivers which is amazing in56" HD

7. markheus

Reputations:
    I don't think this is avoidable - A computer monitor's aspect ratio is 16*10 whereas most Tv's are 16*9

8. ojchillinndc

ojchillinndc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I like the X205 very much (except for the bad HD Drive) I really don't any complaints 'cause my expectations for NBs aren't really high. I just want the things to work and play my games exceptionally well and play my Blu Ray and HD movies (hint, hint) good. I can't get over the sound of the speakers thou!!! The sound is incredible. I do however wish they could get louder. Eventhough the sound isn't as good, my XPS speakers get incredibly loud! I have to turn them down sometimes. So here is a breakdown of my likes and dislikes.

The keyboard: It types so I like it
    The fingerprint scanner: It scans so I like it
    The back cover: I like red so.... I like it
    The GPU: It plays CC3 great so for now, I like it
    The touchpad shortcuts bottom 3: I can program them they I like, so I like them
    The speakers: I love them
    The screen: It's bright enough for me and CC3 looks great on it, so I like it
    HDMI: CC3 looks awesome on the HD screen! But then again, all of you 360 owners already know that.

What I don't like
    The top 3 shortcut buttons on the touchpad are useless for me. I have to look to see if I can reprogram them like the bottom 3.
    EDIT: I found out how to reprogram the top 3 so now I like the all shortcut buttons.

All the Day-umm bloatware!!!!!
    Toshiba Tech Support. Bad, bad, bad, bad. They make Dell's Tech Support look like a Godsend. They are just awful. I could start a whole other post on my bad experience with their tech support but I just don't have the strength.

I like I said before, I like the X205. Once my drive get fixed, then I love.
    I have to say I really like the X205. I'm typing on it right now and it's a joy to work with.

9. markheus

Reputations:
    I just bought Titan Quest from steam and it runs well, aside from the technical issues from teh game itself.

I'm downloading World In Conflict - I'm really excited about this game... I hope it runs at reasonably high rate.

10. Averytingwong

Averytingwong Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You mentioned that there are two different screens out there? How do you tell if which screen you have? Does having a Samsung screen fix the blue tint issue I've been having? Will Toshiba replace my laptop with the nicer screen?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.