Official VAIO Z Core 2 Duo Series Owners Thread

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by DiscCollector, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZugZug

ZugZug Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you replace rubber inserts around drive with something else (these inserts add in vertical direction too and need to be replaced with something that only adds on the sides of drive), I think there is enough space to squese 12.5mm drive. But that's just a guess. Also, it would definitely affect cooling by reducing air flow, which is bad.

2. kavb

kavb Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am so annoyed at sony right now :mad:

Having ordered my new Z on 4th July, I was first told it was shipping on 16 July. When I didn't get an email, I called to see what was going on. I was then told it had been delayed to 24 July. Pretty annoying. So I called again today (29th July) because I still had not received an email and was told it was delayed AGAIN and would not ship from Japan until 10th AUGUST and probably not arrive for another 7 days after that!!! :mad: The only reason they seemed to offer was "human error". ARGH!

That means it would arrive almost SEVEN WEEKS after I ordered it! I decided that, as much as I wanted the Z, this was completely unacceptable so was going to cancel. Thankfully, I managed to talk to a more senior person and they agreed to try to get it on express shipping and to refund the cost of the bluetooth mouse I bought at the same time. Still very frustrating, but at least they weren't heartless. Any more delays though, and I'm definitely cancelling.

:mad:

3. Jorlin

Jorlin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I know how this feels (although not in regards to the Z). But what is the option instead of waiting? Usually when I decide to get the best I can think of, I usually choose to wait... even with the delay... but still, I can feel your pain... :(

4. SPEEDwithJJ

SPEEDwithJJ NBR Super Idiot

Reputations:
    I'm really sorry to hear about your troubles/inconveniences. :( May I ask from which country did you order your Vaio Z notebook? :confused: Anyway, I hope your new purchase arrives earlier than expected this time around. Good luck. :)

5. flatulatorX

flatulatorX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I can confirm that after changing to 120 DPI in Vista, words are often cut off in message and other pop up type of windows. Scaling within applications like Firefox and MS Office is fine, but you probably already know that. I am lead to believe Win7 is where everything is supposed to be perfect.

6. xprohx

xprohx Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nothing is perfect, but Windows 7 is a great leap forward from its past operating systems. The Z takes advantage of this very well with its extra wide screen.

7. flatulatorX

Reputations:
    Well I finally broke down and got a Z. I tried really hard to hold out for something sleeker, cheaper and nearly as powerful but failed. The Z is like that high maintenance cutie you know you shouldn't date but you do anyways because she has an hour glass figure, likes sports and, you know, laughs at your jokes.

Ordered a US Z790 CTO on 26Jun, the first day eligible for the free Win7 upgrade. Got it with a P8800 and 128GB SSD. Received it 12 days later.

I like it overall but transitioning from an SZ I must say I am not nearly as blown away as I was when I transitioned from a 15" Acer to the SZ three yrs ago.

First, my biggest disappointments:
    • The raid SSD just doesn't seem as blistering fast as I was hoping it to be. Maybe Vista and Sony bloatware are partly to blame, but I would imagine only a minor part. It's not terribly slow but certainly not worth the $460 price tag. At least the drive generates little heat and saves a bit of power. Those with time and patience to self-upgrade from an HDD should do so.
    • The battery drain is every bit as bad as, if not worse than, earlier models. Most recently, after 2.5 days unplugged my batt went from 50% to 28% (I plugged it back in just before powering it back up, btw). I was aware of the problem but didn't think it was this bad. A complaint is in order.
    • The fan gets loud sometimes, even when doing medium duty such as file compression.
    • With all the space between the keys, I don't understand why they didn't fit dedicated home/end and pgup/pgdn keys. I'll have to resort to key mapping software.

Things I like (besides the obvious size/power ratio and looks):
    • Battery life is great compared to notebooks of yesterday.
    • The 3-prong adapter was a pleasant surprise. Now I won't be subjected to little jolts now and then. It's also much smaller than the SZ clunker.
    • The premium carbon lid is nice. My first impression was "Is this all?" but I've since grown to like it. I also like the fact that it remains tasteful in a business environment.
    Attempted a fresh Win7 64bit install but couldn't get some key drivers to install. Also, battery life seemed to be noticably worse. Reverted back to Vista 64bit. If nothing else, the exercise allowed me to add a partition for data and reduce the size of the recovery partition (all can be done from the recovery disks). However, Vista is an absolute PIG -- with updates it uses almost 40GB of disk space!

Final pet peeve -- the overpriced docking station is nearly the same as the overpriced one for the SZ, including the ports, indicator lights and even the port connector. Of course Sony would move the location of the port connector so that you would have to buy a new docking station.

In closing...for the price you pay the Z is far from perfect. She sure is a cutie, though.

8. SPEEDwithJJ

SPEEDwithJJ NBR Super Idiot

Reputations:
    I hope you have taken advantage of the Vaio productivity rebate where you'll get a free Vaio Z docking station instead of buying one. :)

By the way, congrats on your Vaio Z notebook purchase. :)

9. flatulatorX

Reputations:
    Thanks Speed. I couldn't wait for the productivity rebate as I only had a 2 week visit to the US. I did apply for the mobile rebate, tho. Hopefully it will go through so I can pick an extra battery on my next trip.

10. Phil

Phil Retired

Reputations:
    Undervolting + setting Vaio control center to silent mode can help a lot.

PS. I think a clean install will make a lot of difference for how speedy it feels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.