Official VAIO SR Series Owners Thread

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Duke2007, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. funny4life

funny4life Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You may want to do a system backup first, oh and I take no responsibility for you bricking your laptop. This simply worked for me just now. :)

For anyone who wants to run Windows 8.1 on their old school Vaio SR. While windows will install a driver that supports the full resolution, you may notice the graphics card performance is none existent. If you go to http://www2.ati.com/DRIVERS/mobile/12-4_mobility_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc.exe to download the driver, start the installation but exit after the extraction, go into device manager and select update driver "have disk" it will let you install the driver. Not sure if it's 100% but I was trying to play an old school game and it lagged like crazy before while now it seems to work fine.

2. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Has anyone sold their SR recently? How much did you get for it?

3. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If anyone is looking for a Synaptics touchpad driver for their -SR- for use on XP/Vista/Win7, here is a link to good version.

>> ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp51001-51500/sp51498.exe <<

It supports Multi-touch, and also has Palm detect which is great if your prone to accidentally hitting the pad when you type.

I've installed it on Win7 and it works great. (I haven't tried it on XP, Vista, or Win8).

I found it on an old news post here: http://www.engadget.com/2010/..., which actually takes you to the original post here: New HP Touchpad Driver that Unlocks Multi-Touch on older Touchpad - www.hardwarezone.com.sg

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  4. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Windows 10 seems to be running fine on my SR290.

I did a clean install using the media creation tool to create a win10 usb installer.
    During the install I wiped my SSD and any partitions on it.
    Win10 installed fine, and only had 1 unknown item in the device manager.
    I then installed the sony notebook utilities, settings utility series update, sony shared library, and sony Firmware Extension Parser Driver.
    That resolved the unknown item and now my Function volume and brightness works.
    Also the quick mode buttons and settings button also works.
    So far, everything is working perfect.

5. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well cancel my last post. I ended up removing win10 and putting win7 back on. For some reason with win10 my SR was constantly blowing hot air out like the cpu frequency throttling was not working.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.