Official VAIO SR Series Owners Thread

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Duke2007, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. code46

code46 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you kindly for replying. In fact I actually installed the latest chipset driver using the Intel auto-detect webpage feature.

I will uninstall the chipset driver and install using the vaio update I installed. The vaio update in fact couldn't install that one driver since the latest on from Intel was already installed by me.

Uninstall via device manager right?

I hope that's it. Will report back, thank you again.

2. trig20

trig20 Newbie

Reputations:
    I finally resolve my problem with ICH9M LPC 2919 - unknown device by reinstalling the firmware extension driver

Now I bought GMYLE bc628 expresscard and can't get it to work on my windows 8 laptop. Its not showing up in Device Manager. I tried it on my friends laptop(win7) and it showed up. Any ideas?

3. code46

code46 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hmmm, I tried installing the original Intel chipset drivers Sony provides for Windows 7 but it still won't connect to the dock.

I would love to know if anyone has upgraded to Windows 7 and been able to use the SR dock.

4. wasup1357

wasup1357 Newbie

Reputations:
    A little late here Sorry

I am not using window 7. I am on Windows 8 and am able to use the SR dock (full functionality)

Hope this helps

5. jadedpony

jadedpony Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So it turns out that my unexpected shutdown problem wasn't caused by my SSD after all. After running on my original 7.2k rpm drive, I was still running into the same issue. I even threw my original memory back in and it persisted.

Since I purchased my SR about 2.5 years ago, and had only purchased one extra year to extend my Sony warranty, I was out of warranty but, my credit card tacks on another year so I sent it into Sony for repair.

I was nervous that they wouldn't be able to replicate the issue but in the end they identified the AC adapter and battery as the culprits. Unfortunately those were two things that I couldn't test myself as I don't have spares but it has been up and running solid with the new adapter.

I also ended up with a Samsung 840 Pro 128GB drive and it is great. Feels like a bit less lag than the OCZ with program installations but I could just be imagining things as I didn't do any thorough testing with either drives. The SSD plus the 8GB of Mushkin PC2 6400 RAM have made my SR feel like a new system. I'm kind of surprised that it was just the adapter and not the motherboard but I'm just glad to have my laptop back so that I can go back to editing photos :)

After browsing other threads about the install order for Sony drivers, I have found that for me at least, the only three that really matter are:

1. Sony Firmware Extension Parser Device Driver
    2. Sony Shared Library
    3. Sony Notebook Utilities
    Beyond that Windows updates picked up everything else but the Synaptics touchpad driver which I had to install manually.

6. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's excellent. Imo, the 840 is the best ssd on the market.

oh and which Synaptic driver did you use. that is one thing i still need to install on mine.

7. jadedpony

jadedpony Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah, the 840 has been rock solid so far.

I just used the driver (and update) provided on the Sony support site.

Although for video I downloaded the most recent ATI driver/Catalyst install package. My only issue with that was that it wouldn't install the audio over HDMI portion of the driver. I don't use my HDMI out much at this point but I guess if I need it I could always go back to the Sony drivers. Has anyone else seen this issue?

8. Ian W

Ian W Newbie

Reputations:
    I've got an odd problem with my SR and wondering if anyone could shed any light on this.

It's a SR39VN/S.

I ran a Corsair Force 3 SSD for about 8 months and all was fine, all of a sudden I started suffering KSOD (black screen of death). Narrowed it down to the SSD, returned it and was given a refund. In the meantime I was using a standard HDD and laptop worked perfectly fine.

I then bought an OCZ SSD, did a clean install of Windows 7 and it starts giving me the KSOD again??

Once again fit my old HDD and all it fine.

Any idea's?

9. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hm, i would check to make sure your SR has the latest bios, and also the ssd is updated to the latest firmware.

10. shenofjo

shenofjo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ssd is a fickle being. I got my samsung 830, year ago and its solid! love their versatility with their software. donno if anyone even reads this anymore but, just want to update on my sr190. It has samsung ssd in original HD, a HD caddy in place of DVD drive for second hard drive at 1TB. upgraded my CPU from T9400 to T9600 via ebay. lastly, the forbidden territory of memory. I thought having my latest bios of R0310Y1 would get me to 8GB, but this has failed so far. best I could do is 4GB and 2GB ram for total 6GB ram. still pretty sweet.

Original VS Now
    T9400 2.53GHz to T9600 2.80GHz both undervolted via RightMark
    5400RPM 120GB HD to SSD 128GB HD Samsung 830
    DVD drive to 1TB 5400RPM HD
    4GB ram to 6GB ram

If anyone has gotten to 8GB ram successfully, please share. These are the ways I have tried.
    intial installment symptom: extremely slow start up and unable to load windows 7 64bit
    4Gb + 2GB ram install = boot up normally and 6GB accounted for in windows 7. even bench tested ram to past 4.3GB of ram
    4GB + 4GB ram with msconfig limiting maximum memory to 5000kb = boot up fine, windows 7 recognized all 8GB, but can only use ~3.86gb
    limitation raised to 5500GB and it failed again.

Idea behind using max memory was to get more than 4gb ram with the speed of symmetric blah blah blah. but didnt work as i had hoped.
    Finally, I see that SR 490 was the model where the broshure said came with 8gb Max rather than the usual 4gb max. I wonder if it is possible to extract the bios file from SR 490 and somehow make it compatible with previous SR models. I want to try but cannot risk losing my computer function completely. so if anyone with better computing skills know how it can be done, please chime in!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.