Official VAIO SR Series Owners Thread

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Duke2007, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. updog

updog Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Anyone have any suggestions for a functional cheap extended battery for the Vaio SR? I am thinking about buying a cheap generic one but I don't know where to get it and which works without too much modification. Anyone with suggestions and experiences???

2. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm definitely working on that. I've been waiting for a great deal on a SSD. The only problem though is Vista doesn't support Trim, so if i do upgrade I'm going to have to buy a copy of win7, or just go fully linux, which is what i run 90% of the time now.

3. jadedpony

jadedpony Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My 128GB OCZ Vertex 4 just came in last night. I picked it up off of Amazon for $75 since Newegg was out of stock. I haven't been able to put it in yet but I have been prepping for it by downloading all of the drivers and extracting the WinDVD and Roxio Easy CD installs from the recovery partition.

I'm also adding 8GB of memory when it arrives from Newegg. I'm hoping mine will feel like a new system too :)

I'm debating dual booting into XP and 7 or even moving to 8. Any suggestions?

4. trig20

trig20 Newbie

Reputations:
    I bought a samsung ssd 840 250gb and installed windows 8.

There's only one thing not recognized in Device Manager. The location says "on Intel(R) ICH9M LPC Interface Controller - 2919". I already tried a driver from sony website and from intel website and it is still not recognized.

I also bought a hdd caddy and it works. But the openings does not match the clips from the original dvd cover.

@Jadedpony did the 8gb ram work? how much was it?

5. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I finally upgraded with a 128gb Samsung 830 SSD. I bought the model number with the "laptop upgrade kit", but its not needed for the SR. It comes with a spacer plate that the SR doesn't need. I also got it because it came with a nice sata to usb cable that will come in handy when I want to plug in a old drive to access it. For $10 more, it was worth it.

As for the upgrade, the ssd install took 5 min. I didn't bother with my recovery disks, as I wanted a fresh install. I partitioned the SSD for a dual boot and installed win7 on the first partition. (note, you'll need win7 for your SSD because it supports TRIM). I followed go_ahead_ed's install order and it works fine. I also installed the latest video drivers from ATI's support site (12-6-legacy_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc_whql), and they are working fine. (my SR has the ATI video card). hdmi out also works good.

For linux, I installed Mint 14 x64 on the 2nd partition. I chose not to use a swap file after researching it. There was also a couple ssd tweaks I used (that i may come back and post later).
    Linux Mint 14 didn't disappoint. except for a hdmi issue, it works perfect out of the box. Function keys, audio, brightness, suspend to ram, all working perfect out of the box.

An SSD has to be one of the best upgrades you can do, my 4 year old SR is booting up win7 to usable desktop in 20-25 seconds, and linux is even faster.

6. jadedpony

jadedpony Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    8GB works perfectly. Was $135 at Newegg for Mushkin. I have seen it cheaper at Crucial.

My OCZ SSD does not and continuously causes Windows to shutdown unexpectedly. I had a hard time isolating the issue since I had just upgraded my RAM, HDD, added an external enclosure and done a clean install of Windows as S.Prime has. It is definitely the SSD though as with another traditional 7.2K drive installed, my clean install of Win 7 works flawlessly. Maybe I will return it and pick up one of these Samsungs as you guys seem to be sailing smoothly on those.

I was even able to extract and locate the installs for WinDVD BD and Roxio Easy Media Creator. WinDVD BD is unfortunately incompatible with Win 8 it seems :( Win 8 did have like a 10-15 second boot time though :)

7. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Have you tried updating the ssd firmware? I have a OCZ vertex 3 SSD on my desktop computer and get occasional blue screens. A firmware update is in order, but I haven't done it yet.

8. jadedpony

jadedpony Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Good suggestion but before I installed the drive, I actually tried to flash the latest firmware but it was already on it. I called OCZ and they said to just RMA it through the reseller since OCZ only has one warehouse and I'd receive it quicker that way. Amazon is shipping a replacement so we will see if that makes a difference.

Their other possible fix was a secure erase but since the replacement won't cost me anything (even in shipping), I'll try my luck with another drive.

9. code46

code46 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hope someone here can help.

I've got a Sony SR290 on my hands and recently upgraded the drive to a new Samsung SSD and did a clean install of Windows 7 to give it new life.

I also have the official VGP-PRSR1 dock for the SR series. The problem I am having is that the SR290 doesn't seem to communicate with the dock. The "In Use" light never comes and none of the connections work. The docking station does receive power, the "DC In" light is green.

Is there a driver specifically that would fix this issue? I thought I had installed all the necessary drivers from the Sony site and all the Sony special Functions work and there are no missing devices in Device Manager.

I hope someone can help because man without the docking station this is going to be difficult to do work on.

Crossing my fingers...:)

10. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That is really odd. You would think the docking station would be a direct extension of the motherboard. The only thing I can think of is that it is a chipset problem. Did you install a newer intel chipset, or use one from the sony support downloads? I would try installing one of the sony chipsets.

They have one listed as Win7 x64: File Description Intel® Chipset Driver Release Date 10/09/2009 Version 8.7.0.1007 File Size 2.15 MB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.