Official Vaio Pro 13 Owners Lounge (SVP13 2013)

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by oled, Jun 5, 2013.

?

If you had the option to choose between touch / non-touch with all its pros & cons, what model w

1. non-touch

148 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. touch

177 vote(s)
    52.5%
  3. no idea - you tell me what's good for me

12 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. Jena_Plissken

Jena_Plissken Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I received the Vaio Pro 13 (old model SVP1321) few days ago.

It's all ok and awesome...but there's a thing that is making me crazy that I don't understand. Is normal that there is a difference in balance in the chassis? I mean, while the left part of the base is pretty close to the surface, the right one I can see is not completely sticking to it, making the laptop wobble a bit in that side if I push (meaning that the right side of the base tends slightly upwards). Also, I have the feeling that, when the laptop is closed, there is more space between the base and the lid than how should be.

Dunno if this could be normal,considering that the carbon fibre is flexible and also that it's a refund (bought on the Outlet Store), so I couldn't expect perfection...but still seems strange to me. Hope you can clear me up on this.

Thanks!

2. Gtanner00

Gtanner00 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Can anyone tell me the differences between the old and new models? Are these for both the i5 and i7 versions? What are the model numbers?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

3. boulbil

boulbil Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Joining the ranks..
    Any idea where to get the sheet battery (seems its out of stock everywhere but japan)? and a can of red paint... ;-)

IMG_20140416_155943482.jpg

(also, this seems to be the last unit of the limited edition ever made.. unless they restock. went out of stock the second its been ordered)

4. Jena_Plissken

Reputations:
    Could you tell me if it's normal that the touchpad makes a hollow sound (similar to a "click" but less loud) when tapping in the corners and in the bottom of it?

Because I read something about it in the pages below and I would like to know if it's really a normal thing or it's only a matter of luck. Anyway, is it possible to fix it in some way, or there is no choice? It's really annoying the touch feeling i get... :(

5. Vinod Hegde

Vinod Hegde Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It is quite normal as the bottom portion of touch pad makes a soft click sound (for left & right click)

6. boulbil

boulbil Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    ive to tap really hard to get a click ;) (but then again thats how all trackpads work)

i found a different issue with the trackpad tho.. if i type with laptop on my belly - with wrist on the laptop, it pushes hard enough for the trackpad to click... from the botton of the chassis (effectively making it a "belly-click") - and no, no fat :p

thats quite a big design flaw that i havent seen mentionned elsewhere. i did a work around by enabling clicking on top of the trackpad instead of bottom but its still.. wierd.

the other 2 issues ive found with it are more well known
    - the fan does goes on more often than id think is necessary - more often than my Z which has a mucher higher TDP. i believe thats because its missing the large air intake of the Z underneath the laptop. the pro is flat. looks cool but....
    - the arrow keys of the qwerty keyboard are dumb as hell. should have cut this shift key size down and have proper separation.

basically all these 3 are design failures that sony must have known about.

no issue with wifi tho :p (or anything else for that matter, its a great laptop otherwise)

7. Jena_Plissken

Reputations:
    Actually, to be more precise, if I gently touch the bottom and side areas of the touchpad I can feel it wobble a little inside the chassis...I think it's this that makes the click sound, the touchpad isn't so firmer in the carbon case.

I have also another question: is it normal that the chassis base doesn't fit completely the surface? I mean that the chassis of mine is not fully straight but a little concave and the sides tends upwards and so they doesn't touch the surface. For this reason I think it trembles more when I press on the keys...

Thanks in advance for help

8. boulbil

boulbil Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    i dont have either of our issues but im guessing they're related
    sounds like your chassis is a little bent - i suppose thats why the touchpad clicks
    mine sits straight, no click (unless i make a real click)

9. Somnio

Somnio Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, it is somehow normal, or at least there are a lot of people complaining about this: Re: VAIO Pro 13 Touch Pad Sticking - Page 2 - Sony's Community Site I've suplemented mine with a small bumper, so the bottom of the touchpad is not in the air when the lid is open.

No, is not normal at all, but the carbon-chassis has its problems IMHO. I've returned my first unit just because the lid did not close properly, and was prone to pop-open on transport. This one is a bit better but not outstanding, and this unit was manufactured almost 10.000 units before the other one (by the serial number). So, yeah, so far I'm unimpressed by Sony's QA.

10. Somnio

Somnio Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Something I also noticed is the not-so-sensible arrow keys. If you press them very gentle, sometimes they miss the push, especially the down arrow. This guy is also complaining about this: Re: [New Sony Vaio Pro] Wifi Issue! - Page 116 - Sony's Community Site

EDIT: turns out this could be software-related, perhaps a side effect after a long standby/hibernation. Arrows keys are still weak, but I feel them more responsive after a reboot. Also, I recently updated the BIOS, so, could be related.