Official Vaio Pro 13 Owners Lounge (SVP13 2013)

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by oled, Jun 5, 2013.

?

If you had the option to choose between touch / non-touch with all its pros & cons, what model w

1. non-touch

148 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. touch

177 vote(s)
    52.5%
  3. no idea - you tell me what's good for me

12 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. awt1

awt1 Newbie

Reputations:
    I came across the post bellow on Sony community yesterday. Basically some people complaining that the only suitable resolution available for the laptop's screen size (16:9) is 1920x1080 and that one cannot reduce it to e.g. 1366x768.
    Is there any likelihood that Sony might change that? I am the only one who experiences discomfort at the native resolution? It is the first equipment that I buy with this screen size, working with a 24" screen at work and my previous laptop was 15.4" (with a resolution of 1280x800).

CountrySelector - Sony

2. McMagnus

McMagnus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi

Has anyone any good experiences with the webcam on the Pro? My daughter's is very noisy and cartoony. It has been that way from day one and didn't improve when installing Win 8.1. Today I noticed that the driver was a general Microsoft driver from 2006!!? And I'm quite unable to find any Sony drivers. This can't be right! The Exmor cam is supposed to be low noise but this is much worse than her old Eee PC with a much older camera.

What drivers do you have?

3. hansskre

hansskre Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    deleted...

4. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You can set it to 1366x768. What I have done is set the scaling to 150%. On the resolution page click "make text larger", then click "let me choose one scaling level". Select 150%. Then on your browser select zoom of 100%. This gives readable text on everything I have looked at.

Good luck, Jim

5. aj84

aj84 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just wanted to stick a quick update
    While the wifi issues were not all that evident to me...it started to more recently. Not throughput but disconnections.
    I ended up doing a full clean format and reinstall (again). It's been 8.1 since it came out for MSDN so a while...

Anyway, the problem remained and I think it was only evident because before I didn't do much downloading and streaming but recently I have and so it shows.

Solution? Well in my case, I followed another guy on here who upgraded the card to the 7260-AC. Did it on Friday, ran it all day Saturday without any issues. Decided to do another full format/install due to some other issues with restarting/shutting down and it freezing. Still running very well and much better.

The only thing I lost was that in fixing the freezing during restart/shutdown was that in the second format, I installed something that got the power led light to turn orange on standby. Funny thing is when it was stable (the first format), I didn't have it then either so whatever brings the orange led on is what caused the issue with the freezing.

6. hawkeye62

Reputations:
    Just an update on my Pro 13. After upgrading to Win 8.1 my wifi has gotten worse. At 25 feet from my AP, with the wireless icon showing a full five bars, it usually won't connect to the Internet, or if does connect to a web page, it won't connect to another page. But, if I install a Netgear USB wireless adapter, everything works perfectly. Anyway, I called Sony Tech Support. After explaining the issue, Tech Support said to send it in for repairs. They gave me a work order number and said take the Pro 13 to a UPS store in the Sony box and UPS would pack it in a shipping box and put the correct shipping label on, and ship it to Sony free of charge to me. I wonder if this indicates that Sony has a hardware fix for the poor wifi performance? Tech Support made no mention of providing a USB adapter as a temporary fix.

Regards, Jim

7. nomad416

nomad416 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Seems to work fine for me: my sheet battery still reads 80% as it did before I put my Pro13 to sleep an hour before.

8. oozijk

oozijk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  9. sunnyd71

sunnyd71 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  10. hawkeye62

Reputations:
    "The company also announced plans to refresh its lineup of laptops and hybrids by shipping them with Windows 8.1 and Adobe Photoshop Elements 12."

This is all that was mentioned in the article. Maybe a fix for the terrible wifi?

Regards, Jim