Official Vaio Pro 13 Owners Lounge (SVP13 2013)

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by oled, Jun 5, 2013.

?

If you had the option to choose between touch / non-touch with all its pros & cons, what model w

1. non-touch

148 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. touch

177 vote(s)
    52.5%
  3. no idea - you tell me what's good for me

12 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. kirbyasdf

kirbyasdf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Earlier there was a post mentioning a fix to the sound issue and my guess is that the sound I was trying to describe was actually within the USB. I say that because the person who mentioned the fix actually solved the problem I had.

It worked for me, sorry to hear.

2. voinea

voinea Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Questions for those who downgraded to Win7 (my pro13 is mate so win7 is best for it).
    - Brightness is still adjusting itself even that auto is turned off from Vaio Control Center . Is only me or it is happening to other persons too ?

- WiFi works sometime perfect and sometime it crap .. I get close to router and start being good but I need it to be constant so .... any fix for win7 ?

For downgrade drivers I'm using these from 01 Oct 2013 listed here at download section Support for SVP13213CG : VAIO® Pro 11/13 : VAIO&reg Notebook & Computer : Sony Asia Pacific

3. caurusapulus

caurusapulus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys,
    what do you think about a Vaio Pro 13 with 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD at about 900€? (i3 CPU)
    I'm taking advantage of free RAM and SSD upgrade.

I'm worried about wifi issues and throttling.

Thanks.

4. Vinod Hegde

Vinod Hegde Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Since you are already getting free upgrade for ram as well as SSD , may be you should consider an i5 (shouldnt cost you too much i think). Just my 2 cents

5. calzone123

calzone123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wifi issue still exists. 15 meters from AP, RSSI -70dBm and download is 20x slower than SVP13 with external Belkin N300 dongle, provided by Sony as a free temporary solution.

6. rationalnational

rationalnational Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    True, Wifi is not optimal - but I honestly have not had a situation where it dropped, nor where it was unworkable in 6 hotels, 5 airports, several coffee shops and around my 3 level house with a router in the basement. Again, not as speedy as my other laptops - but it "works".

7. radry

radry Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did you just contact the sony service and they sent you one? What did you have to do?

8. calzone123

calzone123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I called my local Sony support and after a standard procedure (updating drivers, patches, other software "solutions) they sent me the dongle. They confirmed that wifi problem is still not solved. BTW - I have read that they offer exactly the same dongles for VAIO Duo and Fit owners which suggests that the whole VAIO line is affected.

I have read enough testimonies that wifi in SVP13 is OK. Good for you, but not for me and for everyone, who used to work in mobile conditions with some older equipment and suddenly the new hiper top ultrabook from Sony just cannot provide reliable and fast wifi connection.

The dongle sticks out and is ugly. It is meant to be "temporary solution" as Sony keeps saying.

One thought more - there is no "dropping connection" issue in SVP13 since 16.x Intel drivers. That has been solved. The problem is wifi range - reliable near a router with a strong signal, but painfully slow otherwise.

SVP13 with internal wifi card:
    3143651286.png

SVP13 with external dongle:
    3143655670.png

9. caurusapulus

caurusapulus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Guys,
    thank you all for the replies. I'll make my mind about this ultrabook and then decide.

@calzone123: with my actual configuration (Sony Vaio SZ4 with Intel 3945 wifi card) I am in this situation:

iwlist wlan0 scanning
    wlan0 Scan completed : Cell 01 Channel:6 Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6) Quality=59/70 Signal level=-51 dBm

and, of course, I have no troubles whatsoever with my connection.

Do you think you can make a comparison with your Vaio Pro between the two wifi cards and then post some results, having those values of signal level?

10. hamud

hamud Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I bought mine about 2 month ago , and really I don't have any problem with my wifi comparing to other laptops or smart phones that I have , I'm traveling a lot and tested it with different network and never face any problem ?? may this related to selected models ??