Official Vaio Pro 13 Owners Lounge (SVP13 2013)

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by oled, Jun 5, 2013.

?

If you had the option to choose between touch / non-touch with all its pros & cons, what model w

1. non-touch

148 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. touch

177 vote(s)
    52.5%
  3. no idea - you tell me what's good for me

12 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. daibatzu

daibatzu Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Works now. instructions are:

a. Press Windows Key + W
    b. In the search box type turn windows features and press enter.
    c. Uncheck the option .Net Framework 4.5 Advanced services.
    d. Wait till the changes takes place and click on OK.
    e. Restart the computer for the changes to take place.
    f. Now Press Windows Key + W
    g. In the search box type turn windows features and press enter.
    h. Place a check mark next to the option .Net Framework 4.5 Advanced services.
    i. Wait till the changes takes place and click on OK.
    j. Restart the computer.

2. sillieidiot

sillieidiot Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    go for the 256. i think you only get like 70 gbs. if you were to do a clean install without the recovery partition it would have even more. but out of the box, i should work just fine. i'd probably show them how to tweak the touchpad though. other than that, they shouldn't need anything else.

Geeee likes this.
  3. Geeee

Geeee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Okay, Thanks for the reply. 70GB wouldn't be enough. Waiting… for MS Store to offer Black Friday deals. Hoefully, they will offer 25% off like they have in the past.

4. Geeee

Geeee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I was thinking 80GB would be enough, but it would seem awfully small (storage capacity) in this day and age, no?

5. Geeee

Geeee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Does anyone know when the next refresh is for the Pro 13? I'm a big fan of the Z Series and usually refreshes occur every 4 months. Has Sony change this? Usually, within the model#, a no# will change sequentially with a 1, 2, 3, and 4 to indicate the frequency of the refresh. I noticed this has yet to occur.

6. Lord Di Lego

Lord Di Lego Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey peeps!

A good friend of mine is considering buying a Vaio Pro 13 for Christmas and asked me to let her know what I thought of it. I've been reading around in various places and there seems to have been some issues. Obviously going online and looking for complaints is going to make me find complaints, so I wanted to ask people directly. Are those issues still not fixed and how usual/serious are they? I'm talking about the WiFi issues, the touchpad issues, the temperature/fan noise issues and any other issues that may be plaguing a lot of people.

I had 2 additional questions as well:

1. How is the build quality? I understand there's some flexing in the chassi, how bad is it really? How does the carbon fiber chassis hold up over time?
    2. My friend was thinking of picking the i3-4010U for economic reasons (the upgrade is unreasonably expensive in our minds). Now, I'm sure it's a competent CPU, but how does it really stack up in lighter tasks? I'm aware that the lack of Turbo Boost will be noticed in comparison to the i5, but assuming nothing too heavy (just office, multimedia,browsing and possibly some very light gaming), will the i3 be good/fluent enough for the next..say 2 years?

We appreciate your feedback. ;)

7. calzone123

calzone123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    About wifi problem:

The problem still remains. Sony VAIO Pro can provide a stable connection near a router only, if wifi signal is strong enough (RSSI better than -60dB). If signal is weaker - the connection becomes very slow and erratic and all other wifi enabled machines work good in the very same conditions. You can find many complaints and testimonies about problems in hotels, hot-spots, airports, schools etc.

There were multiple driver updates and Sony (Intel, actually) fixed only intermittent connection problem, starting with 16.x driver for Win 8.1 Poor wifi range remains, but at least you can get stable connection near a router.

Sony officially admits that the wifi problem in VAIO Pro exists. They are not announcing it in public though ;-) If you call a local support they led thru useless "update your drivers and reinstall system" procedure ant finally they will offer you a temporary solution, which is USB wifi dongle.

They claim they work on final, permanent solution. But this is going for long months already. Some people say that the whole problem is hardware fault by it's nature and never be fixed by any software patch (bad antennas placement?). There are also confirmed cases where Sony accepted returns of VAIO laptops even if the official return period was already gone. Because of the wifi problem.

VAIO Fit and Duo laptops experience very similar, if not the same wifi faults.

8. Vinod Hegde

Vinod Hegde Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Of course it is small if for HOME use, for office use its generally enough :) . If budget is a constraint buy 128 & may be can buy a USB (tiny ones) or even externall HDD for storing movies/ Photos etc. However always get 8G RAM if possible as cant be upgraded later on.

9. Vinod Hegde

Vinod Hegde Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you read this forum (especially before 3 months) there will be plenty of wifi issues discussed but it seems to have come down recently. There are quite a few people like me who haven't had an issue with wifi but many have had also (I have never been too far away (say more than 30 meters or so )from router so dont know whether my laptop also has the wifi issue. ). Touch pad, fan noise issues etc have already been sorted out some time ago so you will be good to go once you do the software updates (even if your machine has the problem , mine didnt have any even before the updates)

To answer your additional question, the flex is an exaggerated thing really , just look at the machine personally & make your own judgement. Its a very thin & hence a bit delicate machine but build quality is very good. I use it on a flat surface & dont find flex issues at all. (Its got some sharp edges so use on lap needs some caution!!)

On i3 vs i5 , i have had some prior experience with i3 getting too slow after a while & hence would never ever recommend it. either wait for some more time to accumulate $ & buy an i5 or buy an I5 machine other than Vaio P but i3 honestly is a no no for me !! Same with RAM also 4GB is more than good enough mostly but if possible go for 8GB!

10. mandersen

mandersen Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Geeee asked this question earlier today:

"Does anyone know when the next refresh is for the Pro 13?"

So far there is no answer, so please be overbearing with me when I now repeat this question, for I have wondered about this lack of refresh myself. My impression is at that Sony has refreshed earlier models every 3-4 month, so it's kind of strange that the Pro hasn't got a refresh yet, now being on the market for about six months.

And given the issues concerning wifi and fan noise (and other noise in addition?), there should be reasonable to expect a refresh.