Official Vaio Pro 13 Owners Lounge (SVP13 2013)

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by oled, Jun 5, 2013.

?

If you had the option to choose between touch / non-touch with all its pros & cons, what model w

1. non-touch

148 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. touch

177 vote(s)
    52.5%
  3. no idea - you tell me what's good for me

12 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. rastip

rastip Newbie

Reputations:

sorry, wrong post

2. rastip

rastip Newbie

Reputations:
    szycha3h : How much for the battery?

3. Geeee

Geeee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Guys,

A friend of mine asked me if the Pro 13 can be used by a novice who knows basic computer operation and use? The novice, being a parent, who wouldn't know how to tweak it by going to Device Manager, as one example, as a means of troubleshooting, like many of you have done. Do you think the Pro 13 will work functionally out of the box via its personal default settings.

We were at The Microsoft Store yesterday about to purchase the base model. They're offering a Microsoft Signature sweep of all Sony bloatware to free up storage space. Does anyone here who has purchased the 128SSD model know how much storage space is available after a fresh start? Contemplating on 256SSD if 128 SSD doesn't free up approx. 100GB of storage (after OS, assuming 28GB of it allocated for OS and recovery partition). Thanks!

4. mwilson87

mwilson87 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, wonder if anyone can help.

I have my vaio pro set so that when I close the lid the laptop goes to sleep. When I close the lid, the green power light goes off, as it should when it is asleep. However, over the last few weeks I have noticed that often when I go to open the laptop again after it's been left asleep for a long period e.g. overnight the green power light will already be on, indicating that the computer has been woken from sleep somehow with the lid closed!

At first I thought it was because I had a USB receiver for a wireless mouse plugged in but I have removed it and the same thing keeps happening.

Hope someone can help, it's very annoying as obviously the battery is getting drained because the laptop isn't staying in sleep mode.

5. komoornik

komoornik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Intel Smart Connect?

6. mwilson87

mwilson87 Newbie

Reputations:
    ...what about it?

7. wiclee

wiclee Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    No worry, this is Intel Smart Connect Technology in the works. It wakes up periodically to check email and messages like smartphone or tablet so that they are already on your machine when you resume from sleep the next morning. Especially when there are large files to download, it may kick off the fan.
    You can turn it off in Vaio Control Center>Power & Battery>Intel Smart Connect Technology.

8. daibatzu

daibatzu Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello, don't know if anybody can help with this. After upgrading to 8.1 I can no longer view the Graphics properties of my intel card. I get an error message "GfxUIEx has stopped working". In addition I am unable to play games (I installed mass effect 3 earlier) or even view photos with windows photo viewer. Is there a sony driver or whatever else I can use to fix this? All of my other updates (BIOS etc) are up to date. One more problem I have is that windows update does not install or even download anything. It always comes up with download failed.
    Many Thanks

9. Vinod Hegde

Vinod Hegde Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For a novice , assume only about 80GB or so would be left at the end but should be enough as such. hardly worth paying a fortune for 256GB. using Vaio pro should be no issue for an novice even, as long as he can treat this as a delicate piece of equipment !

10. calzone123

calzone123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No issue, as long as an intended use of the laptop will be home use, on the desk, very close to the router with strong wifi signal. Sony already acknowledged that there is a problem with very poor wifi range in VAIO Pro line, they claim they work on permanent solution and offer wifi USB dongles as a temporary solution.