Official Vaio Pro 13 Owners Lounge (SVP13 2013)

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by oled, Jun 5, 2013.

?

If you had the option to choose between touch / non-touch with all its pros & cons, what model w

1. non-touch

148 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. touch

177 vote(s)
    52.5%
  3. no idea - you tell me what's good for me

12 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. Vinod Hegde

Vinod Hegde Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    All that vaio care does in this case is to set the max charging limit to either 80% or 50%. w/o vaio care i think battery will charge upto 100%. I haven't installed Linux or any other O/S so have no clue about it :).
    Note: Your config is pretty nice & 8GB RAM option is a wise selection. for SSD PCIE option (if available) is better ?

2. Vinod Hegde

Reputations:
    w/o sheet battery ! The current sheet battery design is a bit too ugly unlike the Vaio Z (Bulky , is not flat etc) & hence decided not to buy it

3. Vinod Hegde

Reputations:
    To be very candid, I wasn't very thorough or accurate in measuring the hours :) . it was just a casual calculation. It does run me from around 10.30 am to 8 pm or so on a single charge (of course including some nicotine breaks plus lunch break of 45 minutes etc) . My chrome however has "The Great Suspender" extension ON. so may be you can discount my numbers a bit if at all the measurement has to be scientific !!

4. hamud

hamud Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi all ,
    I just notice that my charger make buzzing noise while charging the battery and the computer is ON , (when plugged in and not charging there is no sound(when battery fully charger) . and no sound either when charging while the computer in sleep/shut down mode .)

Is there is anything that i should worry about ? is this normal ??
    anyone with this problem?

5. _JT

_JT Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Maybe bad caps.

I currently have both and would prefer the Pro sheet. Yes, battery design is far from optimal (to be exact, mounting has been designed by a monkey I think) BUT despite that it still won't be much thicker on it's thickest point than Z sheet and mostly be thinner. Also much lighter.

It is supposedly better for the battery not to charge it fully. Extends battery life. And I assume it is somehow replaceable, would be weird if the laptop must be disposed off when the battery is dead.

6. Nostradeanus

Nostradeanus Newbie

Reputations:
    For those VAIO Pro 13 owners still experiencing the non-working display brilliance issue after resuming from sleep mode, as well as the display not turning back on after going into "display off" mode, I believe that Sony has finally provided the proper fix, especially for those of us operating in Windows 8.1. Today, I noticed a patch on the eSupport site under VAIO Care. When I saw the description I smiled (skeptically) and immediately downloaded the tiny (550K) patch. After applying the patch and restarting the PC, I am EXTREMELY HAPPY to report that my Pro 13 brilliance issues (all of them from what I can tell) are GONE! My PC (purchased in late September) never worked properly in any of these modes from the day I got it and nothing changed after upgrading to Win 8.1. This is the first time that I can say my new Pro 13 is working as I expect it to. I believe this has even fixed the issue of applying the "Open Lid" option found in the VAIO Control Center. Here is the text for the patch on the eSupport site. I won't provide a link, because I think it is specific to my model. However, head on over there, grab that patch and (hopefully) your problems will be solved!

UPDATE - VAIO Care Performance Patch
    Release Date 11/05/2013 - Version 1.0.0.10300 File Size 553.08 KB
    This utility installs the VAIO Care™ Performance Patch software to resolve an issue where the brightness cannot be adjusted after the computer resumes from sleep mode.

NOTE: I was also having Touchpad issues, where after a period of usage my cursor would want to always jump back to the upper right hand corner of the display, and I had to reboot to resolve. Sony's latest Touchpad Update (10/28 I believe) appears to have resolved that issue for me as well. If you haven't updated yet, I suggest you do so.

geologist and dkb194 like this.
  7. samsrc

samsrc Newbie

Reputations:
    I updated my Vaio to Windows 8.1. In that process I had a few issues but was able to resolve most of them. The one issue I do have that I can't seem to resolve is that my HDMI output no longer has sound capabilities. Whenever I plug it in the only sound I get is coming directly from my Vaio and not from my TV/external output. I called Sony and they weren't much help. Does anyone else have this problem and/or does anyone have a fix for this?

8. Vinod Hegde

Reputations:
    I do have the same issue , some one suggested some solution few pages ago , i did apply that patch but havent had chance to connect to TV once again

9. Vinod Hegde

Reputations:
    I currently have both and would prefer the Pro sheet. Yes, battery design is far from optimal (to be exact, mounting has been designed by a monkey I think) BUT despite that it still won't be much thicker on it's thickest point than Z sheet and mostly be thinner. Also much lighter.

I some how cant digest the new sheet from an aesthetic point of view, its neither flush nor covers the whole base/bottom portion. If it was adding same thickness everywhere & covering the base completely might have bought it then. with current battery life i think is not exactly a necessity !!

10. _JT

_JT Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It should have been flush, true. Completely covering the bottom is not possible with this weight; that would make the battery thinner than it can be produced currently.