Official Vaio Pro 13 Owners Lounge (SVP13 2013)

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by oled, Jun 5, 2013.

?

If you had the option to choose between touch / non-touch with all its pros & cons, what model w

1. non-touch

148 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. touch

177 vote(s)
    52.5%
  3. no idea - you tell me what's good for me

12 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. tulaya

tulaya Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,

I'm a newbie to Vaio Pro 13. My like and dislike as below:
    + Light weight, pretty, good resolution, fast
    - Too limited max opening angle: so it's not good when I use in bed. No numlock function. And of course, poor wifi connection.

Here are my questions:

1. Numlock function : Yes I didn't check before I bought it but just realised there is no number lock function on the provided keyboard. Why did they cut it? The pro 13 doesn't target for game player, but business users, doesn't it? The numlock should not consume much resource. I'm an accounting person so I have to key in lots of numbers. I know num pad would help but sometimes we do not have it. Plus we have only 2 usbs. Can anyone suggest the software or patch that can enable the number lock function?

2. Wifi to Wifi hotspot: Can the provided Wireless Router VGP-WAR100 be used as wifi to wifi hotspot? Or only Wired to Wireless only? Actually another reason I bought this model as it provides the wifi router. I was thinking it can be my wifi to wifi hotspot. Some of my client sites provide only one internet account. I would be so sad if I am wrong. Or I have to use another program such as connectify in order to share the wifi from my laptop?

Thanks in advance

Tulaya

2. mimosoft

mimosoft Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  3. willy0275

willy0275 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There are many options out there coming by the end of October, why only look at Thinkpad? With Lenovo, there's the Yoga Pro 2. Samsung has the amazing AB9+ and Asus is coming out with a Zenbook Prime with Haswell. There's many "sexy" options beside the Vaio Pro.

4. ascariss

ascariss Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ok minor problem it seems my brightness control stopped working, I have to reboot the laptop after sleep in order to get it to work again. :/

I tried reinstalling the hotkey utilities, but it tells me it can't run this app on your pc, so not sure what to do now.

I fixed this issue before with system restore but I can't do that now, since I installed office and using restore would mean removing office. :(

anyone have any ideas how I can remedy this?

5. Ryuuga

Ryuuga Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yoga Pro 2 : Not upgradeable
    AB9+ : Not upgradeable

Don't know about the Zenbook Prime but I imagine if its anything like the older zenbooks, it isn't upgradeable as well.
    Like I said before, I need power in my machines because I will be running music software and a lot of plugins that needs a lot of RAM and cpu power. the Ultrabook haswells doesn't have so much power and not being able to add ram into "sexy" ultrabooks makes it less useful for me even though it "looks" good.

I could add a metaphor about looks and brain here but I might offend some people heh.(not that kind of forum)

6. LaurentR

LaurentR Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I wish I could help you but we only have 1080p monitors at work. Clearly there is a difference in the DisplayLink chip used by the various manufacturers as DisplayLink themselves advertise 1152p as the max res for some of them, so going with the higher-specced chip seems a necessity. Beyond that, I am not sure if there is a limitation based on the connector itself. For instance, it's possible that the HDMI ports (like 1 of the 2 ports on my Targus) don't support 1200p.

At this point, I think you have to give one a try. One important note is that brands don't mean anything. Pick the one with the connectivity and mechanical design that meet your requirements (that's how I ended up with the Targus, which is identical to the unit sold by Dell, which one of my coworkers had).

Good luck and please report your findings.

Laurent

7. wiclee

wiclee Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    If you Google search, there are plenty have the same issue of brightness Fn+ F5/F6 keys or slider not functioning after resume from sleep or hibernate. They will only work after your restart the machine.

This is a well known Windows Sleep bug (from Windows 7 to Windows 8 and is also affecting other Laptop brands like Lenovo, HP etc.)

Although by uninstalling Vaio control center and reinstall an older version of VCC version 6.2.4.05270 dated 10Jun2013 which may or may not work for some.

I have been advised by Sony Support to wait for Windows 8.1 and hopefully this issue will be addressed.

ascariss likes this.
  8. szycha3h

szycha3h Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Now in Poland we have more options to choose when buying from Sony Online.

PCIe or Sata SSD

Screen protector

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4010U

ascariss likes this.
  9. Vinod Hegde

Vinod Hegde Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am also having the same issue with Brightness control , still no solution. It is quite troublesome many times since have to save n close all files before restarting :(

ascariss likes this.
  10. OCedHrt

OCedHrt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just going to add my experience here to the top 3 common problems I'm reading about in this thread.

1. Wifi problems - I don't have connectivity issues, but there is high latency on 2.4 ghz with a distance of about 1 floor. The signal is about 10-15db weaker than the Z11 I had before. On 5 Ghz there are no latency issues, but signal is still weaker. I haven't actually tested throughput yet.

2. Fan issue - the system idles pretty warm at around 48-50C when you're not doing anything. You can set fan to silent in control center but that does make it warmer. If you set the fan to performance, the fan is nearly always on but the system is still around 50C -.-. It's not terrible but definitely could have been better.

3. Screen flicking - I have no issues even with the auto brightness on and Intel settings set to max battery. Sometimes the display will dim or brighten, but it is not frequent.

The biggest bother to me is going to be the fan issue. My Z11 also had the same problem and in the past year has been overheating (randomly) at times.