Official Vaio Pro 13 Owners Lounge (SVP13 2013)

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by oled, Jun 5, 2013.

?

If you had the option to choose between touch / non-touch with all its pros & cons, what model w

1. non-touch

148 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. touch

177 vote(s)
    52.5%
  3. no idea - you tell me what's good for me

12 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. sommblog

sommblog Newbie

Reputations:
    I ordered mine from sony.co.uk. Mine estimated delivery is next week wednesday. Now I am worried about these issues too. Also I found out that new Macbook Air has similar problems. 109 pages disccussion about new macbook air wifi issues. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5100655?start=915&tstart=0

Maybe problem with Intel wifi card?

2. kave2

kave2 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Anyone know where I can get matte screen protector? Are there any skins to protect the body of the laptop?

3. SwissGuy

SwissGuy Newbie

Reputations:
    For all the 8.1 RTM users :

Official Intel links for the beta 10.x drivers. No TV flickering issues ! Intel graphics software UI works and IE 11/VS graphics are working. (aka all common issues with 9.x are solved !)

Intel® Iris™ and HD graphics Beta Driver for Windows 8.1* 64
    Intel® Iris™ and HD graphics Beta Driver for Windows 8.1* 32

To install : Setup won't work so extract the content and manually update the graphics driver from device manager and point to the extracted folder.

Cheers.

4. michibahn

michibahn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  5. PaulJ1992

PaulJ1992 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Student discount and double SSD deal made it come to that! Doesn't feel really "cheap" to me as I haven't really spent on a portable product like this before, I just keep imagining the computer I could build for that amount.. haha!

But i'm sure its worth it, especially when I see how much people spend on Macbooks and other options! Mine should arrive tomorrow.. Time to find out if any of these "issues" will effect me and need resolving! I'm feeling confident about it anyway!

On a side note, has anyone acquired a carrying case and if so any recommendations? The only one I've really looked into is the official slip cover (VGPE-MCP13 (VGPEMCP13, VGPEMCP13) | Products | VAIO & computing | Sony) which comes to around £40 on amazon!

6. Nickolai

Nickolai Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  7. acellis9

acellis9 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for your help Laurent. Based on your information, I think I've found a few options, but would appreciate your (and/or others') input.

Targus docking station:
    Advertises 2048x1152 max resolution, though a reviewer claims that it worked great with his two 1920x1200 resolution monitors.
    Amazon.com: Targus USB 3.0 Dual Video Docking Station, works with Dell XPS, HP Folio, Toshiba Portege, Asus Zenbook, Samsung Series 9 Ultrabooks and major PC brands (ACP70USZ): Computers & Accessories

Lenovo Thinkpad docking station:
    Has plenty of connection options. Linked review says powered two 1920x1200 displays but DisplayLink website shows max resolution as 2048x1152
    Amazon.com: Lenovo ThinkPad USB 3.0 Docking Station (0A33970): Computers & Accessories
    Lenovo ThinkPad USB 3.0 Dock | Laptop Accessory Reviews

Belkin Dual Video docking station:
    Seems like this should work. DisplayLink website shows max resolution as 2560x1600
    USB 3.0 Dual Video Docking Stand for Ultrabooks | Other Hubs | Hubs & Docks | Macbook & PC | Products | Belkin USA Site

Several non-docking station options, though a docking station would be nice since it provides the additional ports I'll probably need in the future:
    Amazon.com: Plugable USB 3.0 to HDMI / DVI Adapter for Windows and Mac OS X 10.8.3 Multiple Monitors up to 2048x1152 / 1920x1200 Each (DisplayLink DL-3500 Chipset): Computers & Accessories
    Amazon.com : StarTech USB to VGA External Video Card Multi Monitor Adapter - 1920x1200 - USB to VGA External Graphics Card : Computer Graphics Cards : Electronics
    Amazon.com : StarTech.com USB to DVI External Video Card Multi Monitor Adapter with 1920x1200 Graphics Cards USB2DVIE3 (Black) : Electronics

Also, what is the difference between 2048x1152 and 1920x1200?

Thanks again for all your help.
    Austin

8. steveuae

steveuae Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Nick

You know I cant resist answering you on this point :)

This is not the answer it's just a recap and possible conclusion by someone on a website

I'm now sitting using a crappy Hotel free WiFi with -70 to -80 connection and my sons top of the range MB Pro retina fairs no better than my Pro or my wife's 2011 MB Air 11"

I've had no drops or any other problems other than the slow speed from the Hotel which is the same for all 3 of us

There is a problem for some and maybe the Pro WiFi under certain environments can appear to be worse but for my RL experience nope it's fine

As I said before the unlucky ~200 on a forum is not necessary representative for all others

I wonder if there is data on those that have problems to those that don't but are using the sheet battery

9. graffixnyc

graffixnyc Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I had ordered the Vaio pro 13 but after reading about all the wifi issues people on the Sony community boards are having I canceled the order. I was really looking forward to that laptop as it was my favorite in terms of design and size. The only 3 options I have are the Dell xps 12(which isn't an option because I don't like it), the Acer S7(which looks nice but I'm not crazy about the white) or the Vaio pro 13. I need a new ultrabook like yesterday.. So I have to decide if I'm going to settle for the white acer and I am even considering reordering the vaio and just dealing with the wifi issues. At home I'm always close to the router. At school I never know how far away I am from the router/repeater and in some classrooms I have connection issues on devices with no wifi issues so I can bet the vaio wouldn't fair well in those situations. I could wait but as I said I needed one yesterday. I was originally waiting for a Dell xps 13 haswell refresh as I have a credit line with them but I needed a machine so bad that's when I started looking at other brands.

Decisions decisions

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

10. Ryuuga

Ryuuga Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I know how you feel. I've still not decided yet. Its really pricey for the specs.
    I'm looking at Thinkpad options just because they're upgradeable and cheaper(even though I will be buying Ivy bridge processors, but the speed isn't improved that much in Haswell)
    But Thinkpads look so bulky and ugly in comparison to the sexy Sony Vaio Pro...

ARGH can't decide:
    Powerful, upgradeable but bulky and less sexy
    or Sexy and slim but less powerful and not upgradeable...

I think the choice is pretty obvious, I might just go with Thinkpads this round... goodbye sexy Vaio Pro.