Official Vaio Pro 13 Owners Lounge (SVP13 2013)

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by oled, Jun 5, 2013.

?

If you had the option to choose between touch / non-touch with all its pros & cons, what model w

1. non-touch

148 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. touch

177 vote(s)
    52.5%
  3. no idea - you tell me what's good for me

12 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. Benchmade 42

Benchmade 42 Titanium

Reputations:
    What is the wifi card on the vaio pro? Are people still having disconnects or issues with it?

2. Slvrshot

Slvrshot Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I bought my machine from MS store so it is free from bloatware. The i7 is slightly faster than the i5 so both can handle most of whatever you do. If you are a student, I strongly recommend looking into the MS store units. I got mine for $1331 plus taxes minus $100 mail in rebate minus fatwallet 4% cashback = $1231

No fan issues

3. mandersen

mandersen Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot for this very interesting post. I think it's too much to hope for at this moment of technological development, but It certainly IS very good news at the VAIO Pro within pretty good limits can function without a cooling fan. Or: At least that the cooling fan doesn't have to kick in before the inner surroundings have become much hotter than the far too low degree-level that made the fan start in the early machines, produces some months ago.

Perhaps the refresh that is to be expected later in Fall will have the fan problem solved, and also the WiFi issue?

4. LaurentR

LaurentR Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No, it's all stock. I am trying my new silent config at the office now and it's still great.

Laurent

5. jessie575

jessie575 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Silvershot, what is bloatware?
    So yesterday I been to the Sony Store, I was expecting to see what I saw at the MS store, i7, 128ssd and 8 gig of ram for $1499...sony didn't have it and he was quite surprised as to WHERE I seen it...and I had to tell him, he said basically it was done specifically by them...
    I saw the black and the silver again....my...I fell in love with the black now!! lol. He said its not called carbon black but just black. The lighted keyboard looks nicer than the silver...so I really don't know here. The thing is I didn't want to buy a basic one, $1249 with 4gig of ram, 128ssd and i5...so the only option he gave me was the 256ssd, 8 gig of ram and i7...for $1800. well, I don't know whether I d want to spend so much money on a laptop :( but then it is going to last me and it will be really fast too. help:( Would you guys spend so much? or the basic one is just fine? I do want the 8 gig of ram tho.

I can always buy it from MS Store for 1499 for the 128ssd with 8 gig of ram and i7...but then for 300 more why not get the 256??
    Any suggestions?
    still, Black or silver :))))
    Thanks wiclee and silvershot xxx

6. jessie575

Reputations:
    oh, plus he didn't know about the 256 ssd free upgrade!! where did you guys see it??

7. Ryuuga

Ryuuga Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Are you talking about physical MS store or online MS store? please clarify. >.<

What is your source for this information?

I haven't gotten my laptop yet but I can tell you a few things.
    1) Bloatware is the Free/Trial programs that Sony takes the liberty to install on your laptop. Either because it is a Sony trial product or a company Sony affiliated with to help promote their product. Basically, its EXTRA (most of the time useless) stuff that DOESNT come with the original Windows 8.
    2) It seems to me that your Sony representative does not know his product or the product his company is selling. Basically, the Carbon Black and Carbon Silver has touch screen. The Regular Black does not have touch screen. But I believe the regular version can only be purchased online through Sony Store(correct me if I'm wrong).
    3) My priority would be the 8GB of Ram and i5 or i7 depending on your preference (i5 for me but if i7 is cheaper I wouldn't mind) SSD can be compromised because we know it is upgradeable in future and rumour has it Samsung will be releasing PCIe SSDs towards the end of the year (even without rumours, logic tells us that if this technology exists, someone is likely going to make more of it) Right now, just get a very fast SDXC for less than $100 and plug it in the SD slot is what I would do.

Free upgrade is only on the online Europe Sony stores at the moment I believe.

8. mehdi.shahriari

mehdi.shahriari Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all

I have to buy a new laptop and my priority is its weight and that's why I am just looking at ultrabooks. I am kind of undecided between Pro 13 and Acer Aspire S7. I am a die-hard Sony fan and I prefer to buy the Pro. However, I have read very negative reviews in Amazon. Also, in another forum a lot of people are having trouble with its wifi. I read in this forum that most of the problems such as wifi have been taken care of in the recent stocks. Can you tell me if these problems have all been solved? I have read a lot pages of this forum but in the other forum people are talking very negatively about this laptop.

Thanks

9. jessie575

Reputations:

Ryuuga, thanks for your input. I thought it did look the same like I ve seen in the MS Store in Boston...so lets say they are both Carbon Black (he kept saying that carbon black is slightly greyish....there were areas around the keyboard at the edges that was slightly greyish, but the lid is NOT, its black).

Now shall I get it from sony then...at 1800... :( so confused....I know I want a fast computer, I don't do gaming, got two external hard drives, but then I wouldn't wanna end up with only 70 gig of space after all the software on the laptop...and I do like to use windows movie maker to put all my travel movies (from my camera) and my pictures in a slide show...so I do need maybe 8 gig of ram..but 1800 is a lot of money :(

10. jessie575

Reputations:
    Also just checked MS on the phone, the student price for the 256 ssd 8 ram and i7 is sold out online, and i7, 128 and 8 ram is only in silver :(