Official Vaio Pro 13 Owners Lounge (SVP13 2013)

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by oled, Jun 5, 2013.

?

If you had the option to choose between touch / non-touch with all its pros & cons, what model w

1. non-touch

148 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. touch

177 vote(s)
    52.5%
  3. no idea - you tell me what's good for me

12 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. dropdeadzach

dropdeadzach Newbie

Reputations:
    I went from a 17" 1080p to the 13.3" 1080p Vaio Pro. Haven't really noticed a difference in performance, my workflow or my efficiency. Commonly switching between Chrome, Sublime Text and Photoshop without any trouble.

I was concerned about designing on such a small, but high resolution laptop but it just hasn't been any issue.

deeve007 likes this.
  2. kndlewis

kndlewis Newbie

Reputations:
    When not on the start (metro) page, bring up the 'charms' (click upper right corner or drag in from the right side of the screen/touchpad) and click the 'settings' (bottom charm). Under the icons that show up at the bottom of the 'settings' tab you will find "Change PC Settings". Click that and look for 'wireless' in the list on the left side of the page. There you will find toggles for bluetooth, wifi, and NFC.
    As far as using it, that's in the control panel under 'devices and printers', 'add a device'
    Also accessible in the list above, "Change PC Settings", there is an entry 'devices' where you can add a device, such as a bluetooth mouse.

3. Vogelbung

Vogelbung I R Judgemental

Reputations:
    Quick Q re both 11 & 13: What's the keyboard tray and screen bezel material? Still aluminium?

4. ranjankant

ranjankant Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    SSD is not upgradable. But the SD card option is really kool, it slots in completely unlike the MBA or Samsung and you can't see it unless you are looking for it. As soon as I got my 128 GB Pro, I plugged in a 64 GB SSD. It gives me a r/w speed of 20-22 MBps which is pretty ossum in my book ! 600 MB movie gets copied in 30 secs flat !

5. deeve007

deeve007 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  6. LaurentR

LaurentR Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Something funny happened to me today: my fan died.

It had been making grinding noises for a while, but now, it's 100% dead. I tried to get Sony to fix it, but despite my 3-yr on-site service plan, they claim they don't have parts and I should ship it somewhere with a 2 weeks turn-around (nice!).

Anyway, the interesting news is that the SVP13 makes a great fanless machine. At near-idle, temps hover in the low 50s. Temps creep up with load, but I can watch a Youtube full screen HD stream and only get to about 70C, which is still fairly safe.

I don't want to risk anything, so I haven't gone crazy with high loads (booting is probably what bumps the temp the highest - around 70C also).

But still, I am quite flabbergasted: I now own the perfect Haswell laptop. Ultra-portable, fast and 100% silent.

If only Sony (or someone else) tuned the fan controlled algorithm a bit more than what they have already done, it could be an absolutely incredible machine.

Now I need a new fan somehow - but I may install a switch somewhere :)

Laurent

mandersen, Clerish and ranjankant like this.
  7. Ryuuga

Ryuuga Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Interesting phenomenon, I wonder if this has happened to other users (checked Sony boards?)
    2 questions
    1) Are those temps from stock thermal paste? Did you apply a repaste?
    2) did you change bios setting to make the fan kick in at a higher temp? (as instructed in some previous posts?)

8. GabrielKnight

GabrielKnight Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I still seem to be missing some drivers. Some F key buttons don't work, nothing happens when I change power settings etc. I've downloaded all the drivers I can find on the webpage for my Vaio model. Is there something I'm missing like a Vaio program that checks your system to see whether your firmware / drivers are up to date?

9. dart22

dart22 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm using a 128GB SDXC card with my Pro 11
    it has a 45/60 write/read speed! and it sells for $75 or so at amazon

10. aj84

aj84 Notebook Consultant

Reputations: