Official Vaio Pro 13 Owners Lounge (SVP13 2013)

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by oled, Jun 5, 2013.

?

If you had the option to choose between touch / non-touch with all its pros & cons, what model w

1. non-touch

148 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. touch

177 vote(s)
    52.5%
  3. no idea - you tell me what's good for me

12 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. Soundtweaker

Soundtweaker Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  2. szycha3h

szycha3h Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok, great deal now available on Sony.pl - Free 256 SSD and by mistake still an extra sheet battery also for free. Already ordered mine, if somene is gonna buy one better hurry up before they will fix this mistake with an extra sheet battery.

Clerish likes this.
  3. Vinod Hegde

Vinod Hegde Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Jessie , I have seen both the models & i can give you my 2 cents. The silver color looks very nice except in one area, the screen bezel is still all black unlike Acer S7 which has them in white color . If you can live with the black bezel on silver laptop then is fine. while the black one is all black & looks quite nice . If bezel was silver on the silver colour than its definitely better looking than the Acer S7

4. jessie575

jessie575 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Vinod Hegde, what is the bezel, is it the lining of the screen? I actually wouldn't mind that......I also would actually prefer to have the keys black to, for some contrast, but I don't think that exists. I dont mind the carbon black...I ve seen it at MS in Boston, however it looks like a tablet...it looks too small if its all black...Also, I do not like the black keyboard....looks dull...
    Anyway tonight I am going to Sony. I am looking for an 8gig of Ram, doesn't matter whether its 128 ssd or 256....I hope they supply it tho...
    Thanks for your two cents!!
    The Acer doesn't look bad tho, its just that I would like to try something different, its a good brand, mine lasted 6 years and I bang it wherever I go, I travel a lot, I dropped it more than once too! And it only had 80 HD and 2 ram lol.
    What laptop have you got, if you dont mind me asking :)

5. GabrielKnight

GabrielKnight Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    UK bought machine, ordered early Sept, delivered mid Sept. Top spec in all respects apart from not red shell.

After 27 hours, with a bit of sleep in between, I've got my machine set up just as I like it, installed through old Bios (not GUID), Truecrypt encrypted on whole system.

Can someone remind me of the niggles I'm supposed to be checking for, so I can see if they're a problem for me in case I decide to send it back within a few days.

These are the ones I can remember:

1. Fan noise. No fan noise at all in light use. Some fan noise when downloading and installing 700Mb of Windows Update as expected. Much quieter than my Vaio Z that used to whir up just to make thumbnails of PSDs.

2. WIFI. No dropouts in 3 hours. Showing 4 out of 5 bars from closed office 15 meters away, as is my HP. Was there a conflict when using bluetooth. I can't work out whether my BT is on or off on this Win 8? How do I switch / use it?

3. Electrical noises when moving from one screen type to another. No probs here, but I think it had something to do with whether a USB socket was left to be 'always on'? I suspect they might have changed the factory setting by now?

4. Anything else I've missed / should check?

How to get all shortcuts eg. Fn + F6 = Brighter screen after a fresh install please?

I have also downloaded and ran 'Vaio Care Recovery' from Sony downloads page. How do I start this and what does it do? Thanks.

6. deeve007

deeve007 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Tip I learnt from a blog post I read for extra storage: The SD card is flat when inserted in the new VAIO 13, so you can have one in their permanently for extra storage. Maybe an owner can confirm this?

Also, could somebody confirm, is the SSD upgradeable after purchase?

7. Ryuuga

Ryuuga Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not an owner, but if you watched/read reviews about it, they will tell you that the SD card does not stick out and the SSD is upgradable but there are currently no PCIe SSDs in the market right now.
    Source: Upgrade the Sony Vaio Pro 2013 Haswell Ultrabook with PCIe SSD - YouTube

Anyone bought the Vaio Pro from the US? where do you buy it from?
    I find the online Sony store is over priced and the only promotion they have right now is free upgrade to Windows 8 Pro.
    Fry's however gave me a good price for i7 8gb ($1399) Have yet to check out a physical Sony store/microsoft store or best buy.
    But I'm quite afraid of SKUs as they may be the older batch of laptop (the ones with issues)

8. deeve007

deeve007 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Saw the same video. ;)
    If the SSD card thing is true then that would suffice for now, knowing that I could upgrade the SSD in the future.

What SKUs do you need to watch out for??
    (and sorry if this has been mentioned before, this is a loooooooooooooooong thread)

9. Ryuuga

Ryuuga Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I wish I could afford the red shell too.. Would turns heads like having a Playboy tier girlfriend.

Don't think has been mentioned in this thread, but I read other forums (NOT confirmed to be true, just speculations) that Wifi problem may be caused by positioning of the Wifi card against the Carbon Fiber Chassis. Apparently they might have somehow positioned it a way that might interfere with the signals. People who purchased it more recently have reported no problems. Again, this is all just speculation, it may or may not be true, but even so, I would rather have a newly assembled model over a Bestbuy SKU.

10. deeve007

deeve007 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hmm, seriously considering the 13"... Was leaning towards the Lenovo Carbon X1 (weight is an important factor as I travel frequently, but also decent performance for web design work), but there's a lot to like about the Vaio I have to admit.

Anyone got any first hand experience of the difference between working on a 14" v 13.3" with web design at all? Both are small, but I'm comfortable on a 14" nowadays with portability so important to me, wondering what the drop in .7" would actually mean.

And do you think it's comparable build-wise to Lenovo Thinkpads?