1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Official VAIO E Series Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Metsn, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Mythdat

Mythdat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, it's a blu-ray writer

2. kidziti

kidziti Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The E series come in many colors, while the F is (I believe) just black.

3. slayv

slayv Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all.

Im new a the forum and just bought that Vaio EB with Mobility Radeon HD 5650.

How I can install newer catalysts for that? Those which sony is providing is poor and if I try to install never catalysts from ati site it only installs manager and not drivers or catalyst center.

Could someone please help me?

4. zakoh

zakoh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    On my laptop, VPCEB17FX, Windows 7 does not always play the "folder open" sound when I double click on the folder. Instead I hear a pop/click in my left side headphone driver. When I click back to back to the previous folder, the same thing sometimes happens. So randomly, sometimes I heard the default sound and sometimes just a pop in my left ear. Does anyone else notice this? Is this a Windows 7 bug? Driver bug? Hardware bug? So annoying..

5. kidziti

kidziti Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Maybe it's been too long since I ordered a PC, but I made the order yesterday for an EB, and was told that it would be ready to ship by 11-15. I checked my account online this morning, and the shipping date was revised to 11-24. I called Sony Customer Care and was told that it would take longer because some components were not in stock. They told me that even the 11-24 ship date was not guaranteed (could be later - or earlier). Is this typical - to be told one shipping date and have it pushed out almost ten days later?

6. mih11

mih11 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yep. That original date is just an average guess by the website, which has no clue about stock. Your new date is probably much more accurate.

7. jude5

jude5 Newbie

Reputations:
    hi.
    where can i buy the eb with full hd in store in us ?

8. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    My vpcec was supposed to come two weeks from when I ordered it. But... because I made my order over the phone and said
    "I was told by one of your online reps that by calling I could get a discount" they said they couldn't do that but that they would expedite my shipment. Ordered Friday, got it Monday =p

9. Mythdat

Mythdat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    http://www2.ati.com/drivers/mobile/10-10_mobility_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc.exe

You need the raw installer file rather than the downloader

10. skyneon

skyneon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello all,

Unless I get a mad deal on Asus G73, I am buying a Sony EB soon. However, I cannot decide what configuration to choose.

I know this might be a wrong forum to post, but I really want feedback from E series owners.

Spny EB-Prebuilt $885:
    Intel Core i5 460M(2.53GHz)
    15.5" (1366 x 768)
    4GB DDR3
    320GB
    DVD Burner
    Radeon HD 5650

Sony EB-CTO $1080:
    Intel Core i5 460M(2.53GHz)
    15.5" (1920x1080)
    4GB DDR3
    320GB
    BD-Player
    Radeon HD 5650

As you can see the difference is screen resolution and the optical drive, well and price obviously . I really do not watch any BD movies. I use laptop with and without an external monitor approx 50/50. So resolution is somewhat important.
    I want to get a BD-Player for only one reason. Later, say 2 years from now, I bet that would make a price difference when I am ready to sell.
    Bottom line is price thought, $200 difference. Are screen and BD worth it?

Thanks in advance!